VMware Cloud Community
opoet3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi host not manageable

hi

i have a cluster with 7 host and some vms everything work correctly but 2 of my host is not manageable from vcenter, when i right click on host all action is disabled but when i connect directly to host all action is enable.

i restart the management agents but not solved my problem, anyone can help me?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

so your domain account must be member of some other group to which more restrictive permissions applies on affected hosts...

Please double check if your domain account has administrator role on the highest (vCenter) level AND

that the same account is not part of some local or domain group which has some restrictions at lower level objects-> i.e. those affected hosts...

You can also try to create brand new user grant him administrator role at vCenter level...login and test if those two hosts are manageable or not.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Bouda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try reconnect hosts from vCenter. After this, vCenter load configuration again from hosts

vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

it is a sudden case or it happens after some configuration changes in your infrastructure?

How they appear in the inventory HC view as disconnected (grayed), with red-cross sign...??

Also verify your account permissions on hosts I suppose they are not joined to the domain so your direct access account differs from account you used for login to vCenter server. I am I right?

There are too many unknowns so please be more specific...

Please post vmkernel and fdm.log from hosts.

Anyway as an reference for hosts diagnosis see:

VMware KB: Diagnosing an ESXi/ESX host that is disconnected or not responding in VMware vCenter Serv...

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
bansne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

check if ports are open to connect to vcenter. Check vpxa log to understand the exact issue.

opoet3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is no option for reconnect all action for host is disable.

0 Kudos
opoet3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it is a sudden case or it happens after some configuration changes in your infrastructure?

It is a sudden case

How they appear in the inventory HC view as disconnected (grayed), with red-cross sign...??

There are in normal state

Also verify your account permissions on hosts I suppose they are not joined to the domain so your direct access account differs from account you used for login to vCenter server. I am I right?

I add host to vcenter using root account and my host joined to domain.

0 Kudos
opoet3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

check if ports are open to connect to vcenter.

All necessary port is open

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

when you connect through vCenter server select the host which you cannot manage and look at permissions tab.

Post what role on the host is assigned to account you use to login to the vCenter server inventory.

khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

restart management services on these hosts.

bansne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what does vpxa logs says

opoet3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I restart the management agent but not solved problem

0 Kudos
opoet3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I use my domain account to login to vcenter and these user have administrator role on all hosts.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

so your domain account must be member of some other group to which more restrictive permissions applies on affected hosts...

Please double check if your domain account has administrator role on the highest (vCenter) level AND

that the same account is not part of some local or domain group which has some restrictions at lower level objects-> i.e. those affected hosts...

You can also try to create brand new user grant him administrator role at vCenter level...login and test if those two hosts are manageable or not.

opoet3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My user has administrator role only at vcenter level also we have another users that have administrator role but two of my hosts not manageable with this users also.

Only way to manage this host is direct connect to hosts using root account.

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what version of vSphere you running ..?

do you have vSphere Distributed Switches?

opoet3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I connect to vcenter using administrator@sphere.local and see I can manage all host I remove my not manageable host and add them to vcenter again and my problem solved.

Thank you everybody.

0 Kudos