VMware Cloud Community
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi host PSOD

I sometimes get a psod error when moving virtual machines to another esxi host. Not all virtual servers open at other esxi hosts when esxi gives a psod error. so some virtual servers are disappearing. I investigated the problem. the problem is caused by the driver of the ethernet card. I will upgrade the driver of the ethernet card. 

my problem is this. some virtual servers are running 7X24, so I can't turn off the servers. I need to close the esxi host to upgrade the driver of the ethernet card. I have to move the virtual servers to other hosts before that, but my problem is I don't get the psod error when moving the virtual machines.

I also want to ask something. If I turn off the virtual machine and move the virtual server off, is there any possibility to get another esxi hosta psod error again. Do you have any suggestions to prevent virtual machines from shutting down and update the driver?

I use ESXi 6.5 u2 and network driver version ixgbe 4.4.1

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Before upgrade the driver make sure you have to move the vms to another hosts or either you should power off and perform driver upgrade. As you said have ethernet driver problem on host which will fix after upgrade the driver. In this case you check all host have same version of driver. If running same version then you have to upgrade driver on all hosts one by one puting in maintenance mode..

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The ESXi driver version needs to match the certified HW and FW Version of the nic. So check the VMware HCL, otherwise unpredictable  behavior like you already see.  And when getting PSOD why not posting here?

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos