VMware Cloud Community
Magnenetwork
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi home lab

Hi,

I'm looking for a server that I can set up ESXi version 4.5 /4.6/4.7 to have a lab at home. I must become a little better acquainted with ESXi, since I have to be involved in contributing work on data center now in the future. Clearly I can run Hyper-V, but want to get more learning within VMware. The budget is 500$ - 1000$. Do not want to steer with the customer's equipment, therefore I want to have something at home that I can play a little around with. Have to set up some VMs & connect it with my network lab here at home.

Essentially need 4-5 VMs.

Incl.

- ESXi

- vCenter

- vSphere Client

- VMware

Virtual Machines:

1x Domain Controller + admin server
1x Backup Server
1x File Server + License Server
1x WSUS Server + app server
1x Terminal server (extra plus)

-

Looked a bit at a PowerEdge R730xd, PowerEdge T640, ThinkSystem SR650, but think I can find something cheaper on the market.

-

What do you guys
recommend? As mentioned, I'm a beginner when it comes to ESXi in general.

I'm a VMUG General Member from before.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

As I understand, you are a beginner with vmware vsphere. But my question why are going to start with the old versions (4.5 /4.6/4.7) ?

I recommend to start with 6.5 U2 and above, and i also advise to start with the vmware workstation and then you can increase your budget to buy a powerful server (for any new HW needed please don't forget to check the compatibility of this HW with vmware products through: (VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search )

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
Magnenetwork
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, I meant 6.5 and upwards ^^

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

yeh great,

and also make a look on the following: https://www.altaro.com/vmware/getting-started-with-vmware/

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos