VMware Cloud Community
JD7Mazda
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi help

Hello,

I am new to ESXi and was having an issue with my current install. I had a config of ESXi 4.1 up and running with 1 VM WK2008. We had a 1.82TB datastore in a RAID 1 array that was accidentally cleared. Upon restoring the array the Host now says there needs to be a datastore/ there is no persistant storage. When i try to recreate the datastore with completely reformating it gives the following error

Error occurred in the vSphere client details: object refernce not set to an instance of an object. contact VMware support if necessary

I can see the VM on the left side of the Vsphere client but it is grayed out and says inaccesible. Any way to restore this?

I was also wondering if there was a way to get the VM files from the ESX host through SSH/WinSCP and just transfer it to a new datastore. If so where are these files located?

Any help is appreciated.

JD

0 Kudos
1 Reply
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you see the VM greyed out because your ESX server knows it existed but if it was in the vmfs volumet that you lost then its gone. I would right click and remove from inventory.

adding your storage should be fairly easy.

first verify you can see the storage properly under storage adapters, do a rescan on the storage adaptor associated with the disk...

then under storage try to add storage should work...

if it does not then enter into management console and run fdisk -l

identify the the disk associated with it and then use fdisk /dec/sdX (x is the disk number associated with that storage lun)

then delete the partition

do a new rescan and try to create storage again..

be carefull with the delete partition... ensure you select correct disk

0 Kudos