VMware Cloud Community
cclinard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi hardware monitoring via SNMP (HP hosts)

How are you guys accomplishing this?  We want to have SNMP notifications sent to alert of hardware failures on our hosts.  We've researched it, but come up with nothing concrete thus far. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pavitb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

If you are trying to receive hardware alerts, you can choose iLO Administration -> Management -> AlertMail. It doesn't give you the complete error information in the alert mail but gives you an inkling that something is wrong. The limitations is that you can set only one email address to receive the alert mail.

Pavit

0 Kudos
cclinard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, but the end goal here is to be able to have SNMP traps sent to Solarwinds for real-time monitoring.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Here's a KB Article from VMware on how to setup SNMP on ESX/ESXi. 

VMware KB: Configuring SNMP Traps in ESXi/ESX

We also use SNMP with Solarwinds Orion for monitoring.  Orion uses SNMP to poll the hosts.  All we do is enable SNMP and set the community name.  This enables our Monitoring engineer to have any of the orion nodes poll the ESXi hosts.

However, we're having an issue with ESXi 5.5 where randomly, SNMP stops responding.  Randomly, a short while later, it will start again.  I am working with VMware support on the issue but have no resolution as yet.  I'm running ESXi 5.5 U2.  Didn't have these issues on my ESXi 4.1 hosts.  Smiley Happy

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos