VMware Cloud Community
Photen
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi hangs at dma_mapper_iommu

Hi all, I'm very novie to VMware and have always been a little sceptical of experimenting thigs out.

I have ESXi 6.0 and I usually connect to it via HTTPS or by using vSphere client.

i tried to Passthrough my Nvidia GT950 on it with a Windows 10 VM. Once I rebooted the ESXi it now hangs at dma_mapper_iommu_succesfully_loaded message.

I cannot HTTP, SSH or use vSphere now.

Is there a way I can revert the chenges I made before the machine was rebooted?

I've seen many posts on this but no one seemt o have any clear cut info.

Appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
brass6332
Contributor
Contributor

Photen,

I am also new the ESXi server game, and had the same issue. What I discovered was that if I left my machine running, the admin console via HTTPS would come up to a point where I could log back into the machine remotely. From there, I went to Host > Manage > Hardware, and selected my video card (Intel HD 620), and clicked "Toggle Passthrough" to turn GPU passthrough back off.

After rebooting the host again, the main boot screen processed to completion and no longer hung, finishing on the page displaying the hostname, IPv4, and IPv6 address of the host as normal.

ESXi Server Version: ESXi-6.7.0-20190802001-standard

GPU: Intel HD 620 Integrated, i5-7500T

Maybe too late to help you now, but hopefully helps future visitors confirm the issue is related to using the GPU passthrough functionality.

0 Kudos