VMware Cloud Community
MartinPasquier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi fere hypervisor CPU limits

Hi all

Could anybody tell me if vmware esxi hypervisor free version could uses all capabalities of two six-core xeon CPU ?

I seem to know that I can create VM with only 4 logical cpus. But is vmware using my two six-core cpu ?

Thanks in advance

Martin Pasquier

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Virtual machines are limited to 4 vCPUs unless you upgrade to Enterprise Plus. In that case you can configure 8 vCPU VMs.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you would be able to utilize both physical CPUs and their 6 cores - but when you register for the license make sure you request at least two physical CPUs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also, just a FYI the biggest VM can only have 4 vCPU with this.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Virtual machines are limited to 4 vCPUs unless you upgrade to Enterprise Plus. In that case you can configure 8 vCPU VMs.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You have been provided with much answers that are all correct. But some may be confusing.

vSphere will allow you to use cpu/core depending on your license. It will also allow you to create guests with a defined number of vCPU according to the license.

So with free vSphere 4.1 you are limited to six cores per cpu and four vCPU per guest.

There is a nice overview for the small business here

0 Kudos