VMware Cloud Community
devzero
Expert
Expert

ESXi compatible eSata controller ?

Hi,

we have several branch offices with 2 ESXi servers each.

We use veeam for cross-replicating VMs between the ESX servers and have a third server for storing Veeam backups.

I`d like to use external harddrives attached to the ESXi servers to replace the Veeam Backup server and would like to create a Veeam backup/proxy VM on ESXi which is using an ESXi attached external eSata drive via Raw-Mapping as ntfs formatted backup target.

The problem is, i cannot find any compatible eSata controller to be added to the ESXi servers.

Can anybody give a recommendation how to add external Sata Storage to an ESXi server?

I don`t want to use NAS..

Thank you.

regards

Roland

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Lord_Klaud
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Let me know the exact model number of your server and the Model number of the e-sata controller. I can look this up for you.

Cheers!!

0 Kudos
ismailkayakiran
Contributor
Contributor

I think you must check Vmware HCL web site for compatibility.

VMware Compatibility Guide: System Search

0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Do you want to use simply USB external storage or want to take backup using some backup application

/p>

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

i want to add external sata for backup purpose. usb does not appear stable enough to me.

the controller should be able to handle disks >2TB.

I don`t need raid, so any cheap controller should do.

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

the question is not if an existing e-sata controller is compatible, actually i want to buy such a controller for hooking up esata disks to existing servers

0 Kudos
clarkwayne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"A compatible esata controller is required (like the: SYBA SY-PEX40038), which has the ASM 1061 chipset (which is supported by ESXi 5.1), and it supports esata port multiplier (which is crucial if you want JBOD to work properly)." - http://vflent.com/?p=32

If you plug in the eSata drive/chassis into the eSata controller, you should automatically see the drives on the ESXi host after refreshing the storage adapter. If you have hardware raid on the chassis then you will only see the one drive in raid, or else if you leave it in JBOD you will see them individually.

Also forgot to mention, if your server has sata ports that are hot swap compatible, then you can always get a Sata to E-Sata cable and attach that to the I/O slot. (something like: KINGWIN Model ESAC-02 - Newegg.com)

My Blog: http://vflent.com
devzero
Expert
Expert

nice pointer , but are you sure SY-PEX40038 is a supported controller?

i cannot find it on the vmware hcl and it appears, that i will have a problem when i upgrade to esxi5.5 (see Upgrade to ESX 5.5 - SATA3 disks not present? - [H]ard|Forum)

0 Kudos
clarkwayne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Last time I checked I didn't see any supported eSata controllers... so no, it's not officially supported.

The controller you are looking at is for external SAS/SATA array's (SAS expander). So you have to have another array/server that connects to the card.

Look at my page here VFLEnt | Storage: Custom built Direct-Attached Storage (DAS)/SAS expander for a descriptive write up on them.

Quick answer to the cable question:

• SFF-8087 – This is an internal mini-SAS (non-shielded) cable that has 4 6GB/s lanes. Make sure the cable you get is rated for 6GB/s.
  • SFF-8088 – This is an external mini-SAS (shielded) cable that has 4 6GB/s lanes. Make sure the cable you get is rated for 6GB/s

To go from your server's card to the external array you want the SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cable. Inside the array you will need the SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable or the SFF-8087 to 4 SATA cable, depending on what the SATA/SAS back-plane of the server takes.

devzero
Expert
Expert

>The controller you are looking at is for external SAS/SATA array's (SAS expander). So you have to have another array/server that connects to the card.

i just want to add one or two external disks - so why should the dell controller not be suitable for this when i use an appropriate cable/adapter/plug ?

0 Kudos
clarkwayne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you get the dell controller and the SFF8088 -> 4 SATA cable then you should be able to hook up the drives perfectly fine. I'd be more concerned about the cooling for the hard drives and how you're going to get power to it if you keep them outside.

On a side/experimental note, wonder if you can get the SFF8088 -> 4 SATA cable, then a converter like this Newegg.com - SATA Female Jack to ESATA Male Plug Convert Convertor Adapter HDD Hard Drive, and then use an eSata enclosure for the hard drives....

0 Kudos