VMware Cloud Community
gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi cluster issues

I have a vmware farm and have 5 esxi hosts in the cluster and want to add 6 more in the existing cluster . How many ESXi 4.1 Hosts can be added to the  cluster . What is the ideal approach to make efficient cluster ..

How two clusters under two different datacenters under same Vcenter can communicate to each other ? Is it possible ..

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

the maximum limit for the hosts is very high you can check this out: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_config_max.pdf some people create different cluster for different type of environment says production and test-dev

ewilts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many ESXi 4.1 Hosts can be added to the  cluster . What is the ideal approach to make efficient cluster ..

How two clusters under two different datacenters under same Vcenter can communicate to each other ? Is it possible ..

The maximum is 32 hosts in one cluster.  For "efficiency", I prefer that all of the hosts have roughly the same capacity in terms of CPU and memory.  Ideally you would have shared storage and run with a Standard (or better) license to get vMotion capability.  Then let DRS balance the workload for you.

You want to avoid a scenario where one host is noticeably slower than another.  If that happens, and DRS moves a guest from a fast host to a slow host, performance may no longer be acceptable.

You definitely do not want to mix AMD and Intel processors in the same cluster.

What, specifically, are you trying to do and how does this relate to adding hosts to your existing cluster?

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

11 is a very reasonable cluster size.

Creating seperate DCs does not prevent communication between ESX hosts / clusters etc, but 1 Cluster can not span multiple DCs.

You can have the hosts in differens Physical DCs without having to create different DCs in the VC. I tend to try avoid creating DCs in the VC where possible as you are unable to vMotion between DCs if they are presented as differents DCs in the VC,

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos