VMware Cloud Community
Peter_Wilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi boots after install but Drops to BIOS next reboot

Hi

Running a

i7-4770k processes on a Asus z87-pro mother board with UFEL turned off.

Have added a single new network card.

ESXI5.1 seems to install ok and when is does its own first reboot after the install works fine.

If I try to reboot it again the system drops in to the BIOS setting.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Wilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have solve this.

Problem was I have not worked with new BIOS and insted of puting on screen it could not find a boot drive had a code for it.

AllI had to do was ensure teh UFEI was tuend off then as the install started there is an option to press shift+o and add a space then formatwithmbr to the end of the line and it worked.

Many thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If I try to reboot it again the system drops in to the BIOS setting.

When you say BIOS screen, is it the configuration screen in BIOS or boot manager selection screen?

0 Kudos
Peter_Wilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have solve this.

Problem was I have not worked with new BIOS and insted of puting on screen it could not find a boot drive had a code for it.

AllI had to do was ensure teh UFEI was tuend off then as the install started there is an option to press shift+o and add a space then formatwithmbr to the end of the line and it worked.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
koevi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same setup as you do i7 4770 and Z87 Pro MOBO.

I have installed Esxi 5.1 successfully but when it reboots, it will not load Esxi. Are you able to assist and instruct me on how to get it Esxi 5.1 to boot?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Peter_Wilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I post the answer on my last comment Smiley Happy

Have fun

0 Kudos
koevi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have gotten Esxi up by changing the Secure Boot section in the BiOS from "Windows OS" to "Other OS".

Now that I have it up and running, when i try to deploy an OVA, i get an error "This host is VT capable but VT is disabled".

Do you know where i can enable VT on the Z87 BiOS?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ipjd2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you sure you have an i7-4770k ?   I have the i7-4770k on a Gigabyte Z87-D3H motherboard.

When installing ESXi 5.1, I am having problems getting past "Initializing IOV" during installation ... it just hangs.

Can you provide more details as to how you disabled UFEI ? 

I have disabled most BIOS features to no avail.

0 Kudos
anthonymaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks gentlemen - the shift+o and adding "formatwithmbr" parameter fixed my PC test machine no-boot problem too.  I'm guessing VMware creates a GUID partition that is not compatible with BIOS based bootups.  If that is the case then I can assume that server motherboards boot up with UEFI / GUID partition tables ?  All the best from Vancouver, Canada!

0 Kudos