VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi basic networking issue

I suspect I am missing some relevant point...
I have a standalone (free)ESXi 7 host with 2 physical nics.
- NIC1 is connected to physical network 1 (192.168.1.0/24)
- NIC2 is connected to physical network 2 (10.1.1.0/24)
The default port group (VM Network) is connected to the default vSwitch0 that is connected to the default vmnic0, and a VM with IP 192.168.1.1 connected to the VM Network Port Group can navigate without any further configuration.
Hoc can I confngure a VM with IP 10.1.1.100 connected to a new Port Group connected to a new Virtual Switch connected to vmnic1 so that it can navigate in the 10.1.1.0/24 network?

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

By simple configure the 10.1.1.100 within the GuestOS of that VM which is connected to your new created Portgroup.

Your problem is that ESXi vNetworking is way simpler as you thought in the beginning.  With that Portgroup/vSwitch/vmic you simple design how the packets flow from the the VM trough the ESXi/Host hardware and on which port(cable) the packet leave the host. There is no IP,GW, Routing or Firewall.
In your case the packets will reach a pSwitch port and there you need to start thinking.

ESXi have at least a need for a single IP for its own and when needed/like some more for separaten if you use FT,vMotion, iSCSI/NAS. These have nothing to do with GuestOS Networking.

If you have some time.. take a look to
https://kensvirtualreality.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/the-great-vswitch-debate-part-1/

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

By simple configure the 10.1.1.100 within the GuestOS of that VM which is connected to your new created Portgroup.

Your problem is that ESXi vNetworking is way simpler as you thought in the beginning.  With that Portgroup/vSwitch/vmic you simple design how the packets flow from the the VM trough the ESXi/Host hardware and on which port(cable) the packet leave the host. There is no IP,GW, Routing or Firewall.
In your case the packets will reach a pSwitch port and there you need to start thinking.

ESXi have at least a need for a single IP for its own and when needed/like some more for separaten if you use FT,vMotion, iSCSI/NAS. These have nothing to do with GuestOS Networking.

If you have some time.. take a look to
https://kensvirtualreality.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/the-great-vswitch-debate-part-1/

Regards,
Joerg

maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

even for me this article will be intersting

0 Kudos