Jump to solution

ESXi and SGX - platform not supported

Info:

ESXi version:

ESXi build number:

Tried to enable SGX for the VM, but when powered get the message:

```
State

Failed - Software Guard Extensions (SGX) cannot be enabled for this virtual machine because it is not supported by the platform.

Errors

Software Guard Extensions (SGX) cannot be enabled for this virtual machine because it is not supported by the platform.

Module 'SGXEarly' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

```

SGX in BIOS is enabled and if installed naked OS on bare-metal SGX driver on Linux and all functions works fine. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmrale
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

look at this article: https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2020/04/vsphere-7-vsgx-secure-enclaves.html.

You have to meet all the requirements to use SGX. I list some others below than these you already mentioned

- Intel Coffee Lake CPU or later (HT must be disabled on certain models)

- vHardware 17 or later

- VM must be powered off before you enable this feature

- a special kernel module for Linux published by Intel must be loaded and it is available only for a few distributions.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

look at this article: https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2020/04/vsphere-7-vsgx-secure-enclaves.html.

You have to meet all the requirements to use SGX. I list some others below than these you already mentioned

- Intel Coffee Lake CPU or later (HT must be disabled on certain models)

- vHardware 17 or later

- VM must be powered off before you enable this feature

- a special kernel module for Linux published by Intel must be loaded and it is available only for a few distributions.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
ggratias
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

is vmware workstation 16 pro support sgx?

0 Kudos