VMware Cloud Community
domb
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi and Infortrend SAN = reformat?

I am planning to move an SBS install to ESXi which has an Infortrend SAN directly attached to it via fibre. It is formatted as NTFS. When I reconnect the SAN after a fresh install of ESXi and SBS will I have to reformat the SAN or will the data remain in tact?

Also I see my Infortrend model (S12F-G1433) is only supported with a QLogic HBA. I am currently using an Emulex. Is this to say it does not work or that it just hasn't been tested? Emulex drivers are provided with VMWare and the Dell server is VMWare certified so i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
domb
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I've had a look around and it looks like what I need is vmdirectpath! Is this supported under ESXi 4? I can't try this out until the actual server rebuild unfortunately so sorry for the simple questions!

EDIT

I think I've answered my own question here which mentions PCI devices. Fingers crossed this will work!

Can somebody confirm this is correct? I use VMDirectPath to access the Infortrend RAIDdirectly with my VM and all the data should remain untouched..?

0 Kudos