VMware Cloud Community
NaviTek101
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi and HP Management Agents

I would like to install ESXi vSphere on a new HP Server and I have read about HP management (SIM) being integrated with the ESXi version itself.

Could someone tell me if the standard installable ESXi comes with the HP Management agents by default or do you need to go with the Embedded version of ESXi that comes with a HP server (if purchased) ?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

if you need the HP Agents, you need to install the HP Branded ESXi Version.

With the ESXi Version you could download at VMware are no HP Agents integrated.

You have to download the ESXi Version direcly from HP.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
jkumhar75
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

You can install the Vmware ESXi and later on the HPSIM agent can be installed for the normal iso image which you have downloaded from the Vmware website.

Jay

MCSE,VCP 310,VCP 410

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Jayprakash VCP3,VCP4,MCSE 2003 http://kb.vmware.com/
0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

i think that it is official not allowed to install something at the ESXi Version.

Because you do not have a "normal" Service Console" where you can install tools like the HP Agents.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
NaviTek101
Contributor
Contributor

The reasion I asked the question is that I thought that VMware support has an issue with the HP agents being installed on ESXi. Would ask you to uninstall if you had issues , before progressing a support problem (I heard on a forum) !

But this might have been on Version 3.5 and not vSphere.

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

we have installed the HP vSphere 4 Branded Vesion. And we do not have any Problems when we have to create a Call.

But our first partner is HP. And if HP do not know a solution for a issue, they will send the call direcly to VMware.

I have that once and do not have any problems.

Frank

0 Kudos
mpverr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is the info we obtained from HP direct - I think this is what you need.

www.hp.com/go/esxidownload

HP Systems Insight Manager providers are available in the new VI Bundles providing active hardware management using HP SIM. These HP Common Information Model (CIM) providers pro-actively surface hardware monitoring data to provide the most up to date server state information possible. Once downloaded, you will need to register their software. Registration on the VMware ESXi Hypervisor web page to obtain permanent license serial number. Future Updates - Future updates can be made using the same tool used to update ProLiant system firmware, the HP Smart Update Manager. Customers can also use VMware Update Manager to update the HP image on the USB key. VUM will detect that the host has an OEM image, and will retain that image across an upgrade.

0 Kudos