VMware Cloud Community
mike_caddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi and DHCP

We have been using Static Reservations to allow us to assign IP Addresses to Servers (successfully thus far), however it got me thinking, when I created the reservsation I used the mac address of the first management nic, we have four nics in the group of dvUplinks, do you need a reservation for each of the mac addresses or does ESX do something clever to ensure that the DHCP request always come frrom the lowest nic in the group?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

By default ESXi uses vmnic0 only whether  its get the ip from dhcp or not.During installation also , never get the option to select.

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

mike.caddy wrote:

We have been using Static Reservations to allow us to assign IP Addresses to Servers (successfully thus far), however it got me thinking, when I created the reservsation I used the mac address of the first management nic, we have four nics in the group of dvUplinks,

Which MAC address did you use? The MAC address of the Vmkernel Management vmk0 or any of the physical adapters (vmnics) connected to the virtual switch?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think so DHCP request always come from the lowest nic.

Cheers, Udin

mike_caddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used the mac address of the lowest vmnic in the management uplink

turns out that the vmk runtime mac address matches this, guess thats why it still works?

0 Kudos