VMware Cloud Community
edbreay
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi VM install of pfsense WAN address not answering

I have a 10.x.x.x LAN setup on my ESXi environment.  My home IP address setup is 192.168.x.x.  I installed pfsense on a VM on the same ESXi server so I could NAT the 10.x.x.x VMs to my home 192.168.x.x network.

I can see the WAN Physical adapter on my home network as it is using DHCP to get an address.

PROBLEM: any other computer on the home network side cannot "contact" that IP address when using port forwarding or a PASS firewall rule for ICMP.  Meaning, I cannot leverage the IP address.  I cannot ping, ssh, or get to any VM in the 1.x.x.x virtual.

I have confirmed from the pfsense community on-line that my pfsense policies are setup correctly.  But, for some reason the home network port assigned to the WAN vSwitch/port group in pfsense VM does not respond to anything. It has to be something simple on the VMWare side.  Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NicolasAlauzet

Enable on the portgroup that your PFsense vm is running (On the security Part of the portgroup) MAC address changes and Forged transmits.

Example: (change to accept) 

NicolasAlauzet_0-1630929997150.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos
edbreay
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.  Do you mean change those settings to "Accepted"?

edbreay_0-1631016333666.png

.. and do this on both the WAN and LAN side of the pfsense VM>

0 Kudos
edbreay
Contributor
Contributor

I did set them to "Accept", but no change:

edbreay_0-1631017895904.png

edbreay_1-1631018082625.png

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet

I'm kinda lost. I have some questions to try to understand a little bit more your scenario:

1- You have only 1 pNIC on the ESXi and its connected to your router right?
2- Everything is in the default VLAN for your router, also the internal configuration of PFsense? Remember in ESXi the vLAN 0 is whats considered 1 in the rest of the world
3- The other VMs that are inside the Portgroup with your PFsense can ping the server?

4- From any other VM in the portgroup can you ping the router outside?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos