VMware Cloud Community
recumbent615
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi V4 - Question regarding management

I have just installed a test server with ESXi V4 and I like the fact that it can install on just about any hardware with 2G of ram. When I connected to it with my VI client it upgraded the client to vSphere automaticly. It appears that unlike VI client vSphere will cost me $ to manage my "free" ESXi systems. vSphere says that I have 60 days to License the software.

My Question is this: Am I reading this correctly or did VMware just make ESXi free to use but not manage?

Also In searching for information on this, I believe I saw that the cost for vSphere is 1.2K but I also saw somewhere where it was 160$ / cpu ... so I'm confused.

In working with small startups and non profits - I have been recomanding ESXi as a entry into VMware - with the understanding that to get the real value they will need to license the product. I can see if I'm reading this correctly that gettign them to consider a transition to VM will take some doing.

thanks for your insight into this.

Kevin

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
rolohm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi.

Look at:

ESXi is free and you will be able to administrate it via the client "forever". For the first 60 days you can use and try out all cool vCenter controlled features of vSphere but then this expires and you're only able to use the "first column" functionality.

If you want the more advanced features you have to open your wallet. The more features, the deeper dig.

/R

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To manage ESXi for free use VI Client which can be downloaded from the ESXi host itself - go to [http://[management] ip of ESXi host] and click on the link.

0 Kudos