VMware Cloud Community
mistryasar
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Upgarde

Hi,

We have currently running 3  ESXi with 7.X ver. so now we are planning to change complete hardware and storage. so please advise the plan which i have decided is correct or not.. correct me please i am wrong...

1- Setup All new ESXi and storage..

2- create new cluster with New ESXi Host in existing VCenter and map the New Storage LUN to New HOST only..

3- and migrate storage and Server using motion...

right?

also do i need ti shutdown the VMS DURING STORAGE and Server Migration.. Please confirm... 

Appreciate for support 

Moderator edit by wila: Moved from ESXi-Arm fling discussions to ESXi discussions

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

The plan sounds pretty good, 

For step 3 I am assuming you are referring to xvMotion, (change compute and storage at the same time)

Please check your vCenter is licensed for that feature.

You will need to check your EVC modes to ensure CPU compatibility and the ability to move the VMs from one cluster to the new cluster without power off...

Also I am assuming you are only changing ESXi Hosts and Storage hardware only, not vCenter (i.e. new appliance).

Kind regards,

vFouad

0 Kudos
mistryasar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Appreciate for prompt reply, yes we are change only hardware and storage VC will remain same.

regarding point 3 i will check once visit custimer site but ket assume if there is EVC  compatibility issue so what will be the option to migrate vm and storage. Please advise

0 Kudos