VMware Cloud Community
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Storage Space Issue

Hi,

I was not able to restore a DB on a DB server which is a VM on an ESXi host. When I restore a DB the entire VM shuts down(Windows 2012 Server).

Latter I found that the storage capacity is zero of that particular ESXi host. Then I deleted some DBs and rebooted the entire ESXi host.

After the reboot, 12 GB free space has been regained to the storage space.

I put thin provision option when creating HDDs to VMs on ESXi host. My problem is, still the whole VM shuts down when I restore a DB. What should I do to get rid of this? Im using ESXi 6.0

Thanks.

8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Can you please show some screenshots of what you mean including your ESXi host, the VMs, and the target datastore?

0 Kudos
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Daphnissov,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Please find the attached screenshot of the particular VMware host and the VM herewith.

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Show the datastores on that host and the actual VM configuration.

0 Kudos
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Daphnissov,

I have only one storage and it's total capacity is 1.08 TB, now 12.33 GB free capacity is there on it. The VM has the following configuration.

Allocated memory : 12 GB

Allocated number of virtual sockets of the CPU : 4

Allocated number of cores per socket of the CPU : 2

Virtual HDD1(Impala.vmdk) Capacity : 80 GB

Virtual HDD2(Impala_1.vmdk) Capacity :50 GB

Virtual HDD3(Impala_2.vmdk) Capacity : 100 GB

Virtual HDD4(Impala_3.vmdk) Capacity : 15 GB

Virtual HDD5(Impala_4.vmdk) Capacity : 150 GB

Virtual HDD6(Impala_5.vmdk) Capacity : 120 GB

The above details are the VM in question. The other VM name Mercury has the total HDD capacity of 600GB.

The error log and the relevant screenshots are attached. Thanks a lot for the support Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I noticed another thing just now. When I refresh the data store by right clicking on the data store and selecting the refresh option, I found the again the data store free space capacity is 0 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just be aware the total sum of memory used in all powered on VMs, ESXI gonna create swap files which will occupy space in datastore. The size of swap files may be changing if there's any reservation set on VMs memory. Check all VMDK size + Swap files size and if that's sums up equal to your datastore size.

0 Kudos
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  Vijayrana

Thanks for the information. I will try what you mentioned. By the way, I'm going to decrease the HDD size of the virtal HDD in question. After doing that how could I regain the free disk space? Is there a particular command for my version of VMware for that?

0 Kudos
amithad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the support you have extended to solve my issue. Finally I found that, I have mistakenly allocated more disk space than the actual storage space. I think when the thin provisioned disks are getting expanded; the issue I encountered caused.

I have removed one virtual HDD from the VM in question, and that solved the issue so far.

Thanks