VMware Cloud Community
uyozTic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi & SSD caching

i have a ASUS Sabertooth x79 motherboard based whitebox getting ready to install ESXi.

question is whether to connect a SSD 64GB drive to the Marvell SATA port or the Intel SATA port. the Marvell port has the SSD caching. or not even install the SSD drive and just put ESXi on a small USB drive.

i'll mention, my VM's will reside on a NAS & this whitebox has 32GB ram.

tia

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I use an SSD as a host cache device ... I have enough memory to play with as well, it's just a lab environment ... ESXi can run perfectly from an SD card, VM's on SAN and the SSD as a host cache for when you want to test/play with memory overcommit.

Just my 0.2c

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I use an SSD as a host cache device ... I have enough memory to play with as well, it's just a lab environment ... ESXi can run perfectly from an SD card, VM's on SAN and the SSD as a host cache for when you want to test/play with memory overcommit.

Just my 0.2c

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I use a small USB stick for the ESXi hypervisor in all my lab hosts and can share that it works just fine. I'd use the SSD for host cache (as mentioned previously) or perhaps as a high performance local datastore.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
uyozTic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@spravtek & @chriswahl,

thanks appreciate your help!

0 Kudos