VMware Cloud Community
NightshadeInSF
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Revert to Earlier State Function Reports Success but Doesn't Actually Work

I am working on a server running ESXi 6.7.   I have a VM which has a Linux guest.   I installed the Linux guest in text mode with no graphics.  After the installation and post-install configuration was completed, I created a snapshot.   I then installed KDE Plasma and configured it which worked wonderfully.  When I was finished, I created a second snapshot.  

At some point an hour or so later, I wanted to go back to the VM as it was in the first snapshot, when only the base Linux was installed with no graphical components.   I shut down the VM and created a third snapshot so I could go back to the current state of the VM, then I restored the 1st snapshot.   The GUI reported success and showed the YOU ARE HERE indicator at the 1st snapshot - the one when there was only a basic text mode installation on the VM.   However, when I booted it up, the state was unchanged.  It was still in full graphics mode.  Also, to verify it had not somehow reverted to a different snapshot I verified that the log files contained entries from before I shut it down to start the whole reverting process so the state was, in fact, unchanged.  

Why does this happen?  From reading, it seems I could clone one of the snapshots but I don't actually need it that bad.   However, I will want to get the snapshots function working going forward.  What should I do.   

Thank you for your time.

NightshadeInSF

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies