VMware Cloud Community
Mufimufin
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi - Plex server and NAS - one or two VM`s?

Dear all,

I am trying to decide whether I should have one or two VM`s on my ESXi 6.7.

I know that the best practice would be to separate my Plex Media Server VM and OpenMediaVault NAS VM and have 2 VM`s. There are many advantages.

What I am affraid of and do not have that much experience with is ESXi networking. I have successfuly had this set-up with 1 VM until now and because the hard drive is faulty I need to make a switch.

Here a is a super quick draft that I have made:

2018-09-01_13-08-37.png

I have found many threads where people were complaining about slow transfer rates between two VM`s on the same ESXi host (= my case, even the same datastore and hard drive) comparing to the transfer between 2 physical machines.

The ideal state is that VM1 and VM2 will communicate between each other through the vSwitch without getting my Netgear router involved and just then one of them (Plex Server) is going to serve to the nVidia Shield over the physical network.

Here are my questions:

1) Is there any way how to make sure that transfers are on the vSwitch level and its not going from my VM1 to the HW router and back to the VM2 just so that it can serve the content to my HTPC?

2) What is the best way how to expose the data on NAS (Openmediavault) to the VM with Plex Server and avoid physical local network being used?

3) Is there going to be any noticeable overhead in terms of the slower data transfer between these two VM`s?

Note: I know that this might be a solution, but I would rather not run Plex Server on my Nvidia Shield II because I have also seen many complains about this being slow.

Thank you.

4 Replies
Mufimufin
Contributor
Contributor

Is that simple as making sure that VMXNET3 is used?

pastedImage_0.png

My NAS VM also offers SR-IOV passthrough.

0 Kudos
Sinorama
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMs in the same port group, vswitch and vlan will not send network traffic over uplink. Just make sure esxi host has adequate cpu and memory resources.

Understand How Virtual Machine Traffic Routes

Mufimufin
Contributor
Contributor

Its extremely slow - 15-20 MB/s when moving large files (sshfs + rsync with no compress parameter) and while it should only copy over the local network I think that RAM may be the issue here.

Its however hard to determine when looking on the network tab as it most likely includes also the internal traffic on the same vSwitch and vlan.

One of those VM`s has only 1 vCPU and 1 Gb of RAM since I thought that this may be sufficient for NAS, but its hitting the limit now. I will probably raise it to 2 Gb of RAM.

0 Kudos
Sinorama
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Test only the network speed VM to VM with iperf and post results (optimum is 10Gbps). Usually the bottle neck would be disk io. iperf is intensive on VM cpu and esxi host ram.

0 Kudos