VMware Cloud Community
CodyLearnsVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi Lost Connectivity on 6.0 Update

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to look over my issue.

Backstory: Currently I am in the process of updating ESXi from 5.1—> 6.0u2 and I have encountered an issue with half of the system during the upgrade. First I had to update some data stores from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5 during the VMware 6.0 upgrade, as well as use two hosts as masters to capture a new Host Profile from, ESXi200-4 and ESX440-2. I updated these two first using VMWare update manager then captured the profiles, after this I used Cisco UCS to deploy ESXi 6.0u2 to ESXi200-2, then problems.

So I have two shares, let’s call them SVM1 and SVM2 (same device clustered); each have boot LUNs respective for each half of my ESXi farm. During the upgrade ESXi200-2, ESXi200-4, and ESXi440-2 have all updated to 6.0u2 without issues; they are stored on SVM2. When it came time to update the other half, ESXi200-1, ESXi200-3, and ESXi440-1 all failed to update correctly; these are on SVM1.

During the update to ESXi 6.0u2 ESXi440-1 and ESXi200-3 both lost network connectivity immediately, unable to ping gateway and became unresponsive in VCS, which was to be expected. The last server ESXi200-1 made it to 6.0u2, however all of the adapters VMNIC0, VMNIC1, VMNIC2, and VMNIC3 all became unresponsive in the Network settings, 0/1 on VDsPrivate, and 2/3 on VDsPublic (how the others are setup). I had an error stating that they could not be loaded into VCS and used for networking.

I tried troubleshooting by opening the KVM for ESXi200-1 from UCS and changing the adapter to VMNIC0, but it didn’t resolve connectivity issues. Since the adapters didn’t show in VCS, I logged into the host directly https://ESXi200-1.domain/ui and removed both VDsPublic and as I removed the last VDsPrivate, the server became unresponsive and dropped from VCS as the others had. Reattaching the NICs from UCS KVM didn’t restore network connectivity and now this host is unable to ping the management gateway as well.

I rebuilt the entire ESXi200-1 and it still has the same issues. All 3 servers ESXi200-1, ESXi200-3, and ESXi440-1 can boot off the LUN and reboot and come back up, but never regain network connectivity outside of the LUNs. Help me get these 3 back online.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyLearnsVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update;

In the event that anyone has this issue, please check the VLAN settings for the devices between your two devices. The final issue ended up being a mismatched VLAN between my ESXi and 5548 for this half of the chassis.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My first step would be to check the HCL for your hardware. Could be that some component is not supported. And updating datastores is the last thing you would do in an upgrade project. You start with vCenter, then the hosts and then the datastores.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
CodyLearnsVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update;

In the event that anyone has this issue, please check the VLAN settings for the devices between your two devices. The final issue ended up being a mismatched VLAN between my ESXi and 5548 for this half of the chassis.

0 Kudos