VMware Cloud Community
kubn2
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi License for home use

Hi,

So I bought Dell r420 server and I would like to put some VMs on it and have fun in home environment, the problem is I would like to put some bigger VMs (network simulations) and for that I need more cores than 8. I've seen in the past that there is some "community" license or something like this so you can buy cheaper license with higher core count than 8 for lower price than some enterprise grade licenses. Is it still avaiable? If not what would be the cheapest option to be able to create a vms with 20-28 cores?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The cheapest license option is an "Essentials Kit" license, which includes licenses for 1 instance of vCenter Server for Essentials, and 3 hosts with up to two 32-core CPUs each.

André

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

There is already a notice in the vSphere 7.0 release notes that Sandy Bridge EP CPUs (which is what the PowerEdge R420 has) may not be supported on the next version. So you may also want to put that into consideration whether purchasing a licence is worthwhile or not.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-70-release-notes.html#i...

The following CPUs are supported in the vSphere 7.0 release, but they may not be supported in future vSphere releases. Please plan accordingly:

Intel Family 6, Model = 2A (Sandy Bridge DT/EN, GA 2011)
Intel Family 6, Model = 2D (Sandy Bridge EP, GA 2012)
Intel Family 6, Model = 3A (Ivy Bridge DT/EN, GA 2012)
AMD Family 0x15, Model = 01 (Bulldozer, GA 2012)

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello

When you install VMware vSphere you have 60 days in demo with all capacities at Full, for testing that time should be enough.

In the version 6.X the clients could buy licenses of one year of duration, I do not know if this type of licenses in version 7 is in force that is what is sold now. It would be best to consult a local VMware vSphere vendor.

Currently, the "Essentials Kit" license is the lowest cost

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@kubn2 

Another option is VMUG Advantage, if you could make use of the other benefits it gives you: https://www.vmug.com/membership/vmug-advantage-membership

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

As @scott28tt  said I would definately go with VMUG advantage.
Not only because it has a lot of licences at an excellent price but it also it is a career-boosting plan, you get a lot of networking opportunities, certifications discounts, and more. 

0 Kudos