VMware Cloud Community
timstumbo
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Layout, NIC Assignment, and Switch Config

After a lot of researching and imput from people I think I have a decent looking layout for our new virtual enviroment (see attached image for layout). I have 3 EXSi Host each containing 6 physical NICs. This configuration and the diagram below are just for a single EXSi host, all host will be configured the exact same. pNIC 0 will handle Management and pNIC 1 will handle VMotion, they will be configured on vSwitch0. pNIC 2 & 3 will be just VM Network traffic and they will be configured on vSwitch1. pNIC 4 & 5 will handle iSCSI traffic and they will be configured on vSwitch2. All pNICs are configured with a active connection and a standby connection. I have 2 physical switches that will be configured identically. They will be configured with 2 VLANs. VLAN 50 will handle iSCSI traffic and VLAN 60 will handle vMotion traffic. Here is the switch config..

Current configuration:

!

ver 07.0.01cT7e1

!

module 1 fws1g-24-port-copper-base-module

!

!

!

!

vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port

!

vlan 50 by port

tagged ethe 0/1/1 to 0/1/12

ip-subnet 10.10.11.0 255.255.255.0 name iSCSI

no dynamic

!

vlan 60 by port

tagged ethe 0/1/13 to 0/1/23

ip-subnet 10.10.12.0 255.255.255.0 name VMotion

no dynamic

!

vlan 99 by port

tagged ethe 0/1/24

ip-subnet 10.16.X.X 255.255.255.0 name MGT

no dynamic

!

!

!

!

!

!

aaa authentication web-server default local

jumbo

enable super-user-password .....

enable port-config-password .....

enable read-only-password .....

enable aaa console

hostname iSCSI-Switch1

ip address 10.16.X.X 255.255.255.0

no ip dhcp-client auto-update enable

no ip dhcp-client enable

username admin password .....

!

!

!

!

!

!

end

Any input on the switch configuration would be appreciated!

The EMC SAN unit has two seperate processors, each containg 2 NICs for a total of 4. The SAN will have a connection from each proccesors NIC to each switch (see diagram for clarification).

Alot of this has been a learning curve for me, any input on the setup would be great!

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I changed your design to how I would do this.

vSwitch0: Management and vMotion, both on different VLANs, active/standby configuration on the port groups

vSwitch1: VM Network, both vmnics active with default policy "Route based on originating port id"

vSwitch2: iSCSI: Only one vmnic must be active on each iSCSI port group, otherwise you will not be able to configure software iSCSI

I also changed the vmnic's, so the vSwitches use ports on different network adapters/asics.

André

exsi_config.jpg

0 Kudos
timstumbo
Contributor
Contributor

So your saying under no circumstance run the VMotion traffic through the iSCSI switches, even if they are segregated?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, you could use the iSCSI switches for vMotion, but in this case the active/standby configuration with the Management network wouldn't make much sense, would it!?

André

PS: I just saw I mixed up the vmnics Smiley Wink

vSwitch0: vmnic0 + 3

vSwitch1: vmnic1 + 4

vSwitch2: vmnic2 + 5

0 Kudos
timstumbo
Contributor
Contributor

Andra, you are right, I didn't even think of that.. it made no sense! The main reason I was going to put the VMotion traffic on the iSCSI Switches was because I don't have enough ports in my core switch right now. I'm getting new switches in a month or so but I was needing to get this setup before then. It could be changed later.

0 Kudos