VMware Cloud Community
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi Install Why Auto Datastore Creation?

Brand new ESXi 7 first ever install on Mirrored 250GB SSD drive.  ESXi installed successfully and I can use web portal to login.  Connecting with my Microsoft DNS and Active Directory just fine.  How to install ESXi without the default datastore?  I tried using the Boot Option systemMediaSize=max during boot up by pressing Shift+O within 5 seconds to edit the boot options but this did not work?  I dont need the datastore the ESXi creates as default is there no way to install ESXi with NO datastore I want that partition's space for my OSData partition???  I have a 64TB storage device I am going to use for vCenter and all my VM's. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

...and here even more:

https://core.vmware.com/resource/esxi-system-storage-changes#section1

It seems, if your boot disk is greater than 128G, then the vmfs datastore will be created atomatically.

Reg

Christian Z.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Christian - Agreed.  Thanks for the excellent information.  Since my boot drive is 250GB the only way to install without the datastore is using the systemMediaSize=max boot command. If the boot drive is less than 128GB then yes, no default datastore.  As the documentation indicates any boot drive larger than 128GB is going to get a default datastore unless you use the systemMediaSize command set to the max variable.  Thanks everyone for the help! See the attachment for my hard drive using the above scenerio.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

normally doing this be settings in  the raid controller, configuring 2 virtual drives, one 30-40GB and the second with the remaining capacity.

Then installing the esx on the first 30GB disk.

Reg

Christian Z.

0 Kudos
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Christian - Thanks for the reply that makes sense however how then do I use the rest of the hard drive for anything else e.g. other VMware tools if I make my ESXi partition only 30GB or even like 150GB.  I would have my other virtual drive as you say but how would I be able to use it, you can't have two OS on the same drive?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi again,

your Esx host will see an additional lun, so you can configure a new data store there.

I.e. your Esx host will show 2 luns, the one with Esx installed and the other totally empty w/o any partition.

And there you will configure your new data store, where you can then store your vms.

Reg

Christian Z.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For ESXI the  OSDATA partition with the unexpected VMFS in readonly mode is a brand new feature..
Lets give it some time to figure out how to rightsize that partition.

Read https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/ESXi-and-SD-Cards/m-p/2867400#M278045

Ulli

0 Kudos
Khan141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for nice Info.....

0 Kudos
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post.  I'm afraid I was not clear enough in my original post I apologize.  The basic fundamental question is this.

How to install ESXi 7 without the unwanted/unneeded datastore partition? Is it even possible to do? If so how?

I do not want to store any VM's on my ESXi server.  Mine is an enterprise environment where we will have approximately 15-25 VM's and will store them on a 64TB storage device although it's not yet hooked up to my ESXi server yet were experiencing, like everyone else, supply chain backorder for some of the needed pieces.

I understand the new disk drive partitioning scheme for ESXi 7 (no more /scratch partition etc.) what I dont understand is why VMWARE seemingly won't allow one to install ESXi without a datastore partition? Is it even possible to install ESXi without a datastore partition?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi again,

shed some light in the darkness, enterprise here also  - 800 Vms, 500TB Storage, etc., (-;

Starting with 7,0 vmfsl with osdata none default vmfs data store.

Using the remaining 863 GB/the second virtual drive (raid1) only for testing, not for production.

Hope, now is that clear.

Reg

Christian Z.

0 Kudos
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Christian - Thanks for the follow up.  I did further research and I have changed this reply from its original content.  I do see now that you appear to have a vSan which is your VMFSL partition and some type of internal LUN which is your VMFS-6 863.5GB partition which appears to be a datastore.  So, your ESXi 7 install did essentially the same thing mine did, saw some unused space (space not dedicated to OSData and the two BOOTBANK1 and BOOTBANK2 partitions) and made it a datastore during the ESXi 7 install.  Is this correct?  I am attaching my df -h command like you did to show you how my ESXi server partitions read.

Without connecting my 64TB storage device, how to install ESXi 7 without the unwanted/unneeded datastore partition? Is it even possible to do? If so how?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

the vmfsl partition is not a vsan. It was created during the installation of 7.x.
I have there a raid1 (2Xssd ) array with 2 virtual drives (Dell Server), 30G for installation and 863G for a local data store,
this created later, after the installation.

In some cases one needs to locate a vm on local storage, not on san storage. There are some kinds of vms, e.g. for remote access to
the storage, or witness vms for the mirrored storage luns - they are often configured as ha (cluster) vapps. They should work by storage outage also, independently.
We have there a san storage (2 systems, placed on 2 locations), fibre channel, with mirrored luns.

The storage site is not shown on the host, you saw in my last posting.

Reg
Christian Z.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

...and

...check this here:

VMware ESXi 7.0 partitions layout - vInfrastructure Blog

As you can see, I am booting in UEFI mode, are you doing it the same way?

Reg

Christian Z.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

...and here even more:

https://core.vmware.com/resource/esxi-system-storage-changes#section1

It seems, if your boot disk is greater than 128G, then the vmfs datastore will be created atomatically.

Reg

Christian Z.

0 Kudos
CJFBMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Christian - Agreed.  Thanks for the excellent information.  Since my boot drive is 250GB the only way to install without the datastore is using the systemMediaSize=max boot command. If the boot drive is less than 128GB then yes, no default datastore.  As the documentation indicates any boot drive larger than 128GB is going to get a default datastore unless you use the systemMediaSize command set to the max variable.  Thanks everyone for the help! See the attachment for my hard drive using the above scenerio.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello,

now you get it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reg

Christian Z.

0 Kudos