VMware Cloud Community
twhittle1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi Hypervisor - Guest OS startup on Boot question

Hi All,

I'm very new to the VMware game and I intend to start playing with the free products available and gain a good understanding of it.

My question that I've currenty got is this:

I have my desktop PC, I intend to install ESXi 5.1 hypervisor on it and then install a version of windows as a guest OS.

I hoped that I can configure it so that when I turn the computer on windows automatically boots - Thus if my wife wants to use the computer she still can and her experiance is no different. However I can then install multiple other OS' and activate them as and when I need to and have a good play.

Reading through documentation it doesn't look like this is possible?

I know this isn't strictly the intended purpose of the product but it would be convienient for me.

Has anyone come across this before? / Do you know of a way of doing this?

Many Thanks,

Tom Whittle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - It is possible to have a VM to start when the ESXi Hypervisor starts but where your solution falls short is you are not able to access the VMs from console of the ESXi host - you still need another machine to run the vSphere client so you can manage the ESXi host and access the VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - It is possible to have a VM to start when the ESXi Hypervisor starts but where your solution falls short is you are not able to access the VMs from console of the ESXi host - you still need another machine to run the vSphere client so you can manage the ESXi host and access the VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
twhittle1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Many Thanks for your response. I may have to fall back to my backup plan of Windows as the primary boot and having ESXi installed also but manually choosing to boot ESXi when I want to play with it.

I'm going to look at player / workstation as well but I really want to get some experiance with "proper" ESXi.

Thanks again,

Tom

0 Kudos