VMware Cloud Community
armarzook
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi Host throwing an error when installing/updating Megaraid-sas driver through esxcli

Dear Community members,

I need your help in resolving an issue about our VM hosts.

Our setup is so simple 2 ESXi hosts with a standard switch with windows based vcenter server running on windows server 2008 r2.

ESXi02 is running fine.

ESXI01 local storage on megaraid SAS controller struck on unmount/inactive mode.

When contacted with vmware support, they advised to upgrade the sas driver, which I have now, When tried to update through ssh below error throws. Kindly provide your views on this issue.

~ # esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/ESXi5.5-megaraid_sas-6.612.07.00-offline_bundle-4692957.zip --dry-run

Installation Result

Message: Dryrun only, host not changed. The following installers will be applied: [BootBankInstaller]

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed: Avago_bootbank_scsi-megaraid-sas_6.612.07.00-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820

VIBs Removed: LSI_bootbank_scsi-megaraid-sas_6.603.55.00-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820

VIBs Skipped:

~ #

~ # esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/ESXi5.5-megaraid_sas-6.612.07.00-offline_bundle-4692957.zip

[InstallationError]

Error in clearing bootcfg or DB for bootbank /altbootbank: ('/altbootbank/imgdb.tgz', "Error writing tar database: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/altbootbank/imgdb.tgz.new'.")

Please refer to the log file for more details.

~ #

Looking forward.

Mohamed Marzook.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
armarzook
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear All,

Seems like no resolution for this error if it happens.

Finally took a step by upgrading with vmware standard image of esxi 6.5 and the error is gone.

Regards,

Mohamed Marzook.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Please unzip this file and try to install the related *.vib file, instead of *.zip with the following CLI:

esxcli software vib install -n /tmp/vib_name.vib

However, another possible method to test is customizing and importing that VIB file inside the ESXi installation source and run a clean setup.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
armarzook
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tried the same with the v handle pointing to the extracted vib file, same error. going for a clean setup is totally a different thing, but just wondering what this error means.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did you set up the ESXi host on an SD memory card?

Please check the following link in the community. I think it's very similar to your case and replies will guide you to fix your problem

Bad file descriptor during update

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
armarzook
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear,

No, ESXi is installed on local RAID storage. and the driver which I am trying to upgrade is also for the same only.

Regards,

Mohamed Marzook.

0 Kudos
armarzook
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear All,

Seems like no resolution for this error if it happens.

Finally took a step by upgrading with vmware standard image of esxi 6.5 and the error is gone.

Regards,

Mohamed Marzook.

0 Kudos