VMware Cloud Community
killasoljah
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Host Generating Traffic on VM

Hello,

I am running ESXi 5.1 infrastructure with a few VMs. During the last month I have noticed a very strange behavior on one of my VMs. The strange thing is that during the night (almost every night) for about 2 hours, a huge amount of traffic is generated. The OS on that VM is CentOS. I scanned for holes in the machine, but couldn't find anything. So I've started monitoring the network activity on that machine with NetHogs. Today I noticed not very large, but still strange traffic of about 4-6Mbps. So I went to NetHogs and checked which IP is taking all that speed. Turns out the IP in the list is the ESXi's own IP. Seems like the ESXi host is generating traffic on the virtual machine.

I am not sure yet if the problematic traffic which gets generated during the night is caused by this as well.

I also noticed that when using traffic shaping through the VM Network (Standard Switch Network), the shaping doesn't actually take effect. Tried restarting the server but the speed is still the maximum possible.

Any help on both of those matters would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nikolay

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ssbkang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Nikolay,

What's the security policy settings on the vSwitch?

If Promiscuous mode is enabled, the VM will listen to all the traffics.

Regards,

Steven.

0 Kudos