VMware Cloud Community
Hellkeeper
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi + HP Virtual Connect with transparent Firewall = package storm?

Hi there,

we are just in the process of migrating our stuff to a new C7000 + Virtual Connect (3.51) and Transparent Fortigate Firewall on ESXi.

What we try to do:

We got 2 uplinks (to the internet) from our DC.

UPL1 goes to VC1, UPL 2 goes to VC2. Booth assigned to vNet "upc_network", connection mode Failover. - this is the "outer" vNet

Also there is a second vNet "futureweb_network" - which should be behind the firewall server for our internal net

On Blade 1 we got a VMWARE ESXi 5 with an virtualized Fortigate Firewall VM in transparent mode.

That's how VC connects to this Server (I explain the deactivated Port 4 later):

Big Image: 1.jpg

UPC network connects to our first virtual ESXi switch:

vSwitch0

Our  Fortigate VM Firewall Port 1 connects to this switch and transparent  filter/forward/scan all the traffic from this Port to Port 2 - which is  connected to our vNet "futureweb_network"

vSwitch 1

All other Blades are connected to the vNet "futureweb_network"

I made a quick drawing of this Topo in MS Paint:

Big Image: vc_topo1.jpg

Everything  works quite good - except when I activate PORT 4 for our Firwall  Server. As soon as I activate the Port (within "futureweb_network" vNet  the whole net goes crazy - loose all pings / everything is dead ... I  guess it's causing a package storm. But I can't find WHERE we made the  failure in this topo?!? Just want to bring every traffic from the  outside through our Firewall into the inner net ...

I hope someone of you can help me on this! Smiley Happy

Thank you, bye from Austria

Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Hellkeeper
Contributor
Contributor

really noone here who can help me on this problem? 😕

0 Kudos