ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  ESXi Free version, and setting up a secluded network

Posted Jul 19, 2013 03:12 PM

Question on ESXi 5 free version, we are looking to test SCCM 2012 in our environment, but we want it to be secluded off our primary network.  We want to be able to simulate our network with it's own Domain Controller, DHCP server along with the SCCM server, and several clients, but we don't want any of our production clients to be able to get to it.  Is this possible with ESXi 5 Free version?  I would assume if we set it up with a private network, but I want to verify that this does what I think it does.

The other thing we are trying to do is be able to set it up so it can use our production network to get access to the internet? Not sure if both is possible.

• 2.  RE: ESXi Free version, and setting up a secluded network

Posted Jul 19, 2013 03:45 PM

Welcome to the Community - Yes it is possible - you will have to use a combination of inernal only virtual switches (switches not connected to any physical NIC) -this will create a network that stays internal to the ESXi host - and a swtch that has physical NICs that are on your production network - you will than have a virtual router/firewall that will be connected both to the internal only switch and the switch that is connected to production netwrok