VMware Cloud Community
tomaszhinz
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi FC HBA to array SC7020 direct connection does'nt work

Dear colleagues. I am having trouble connecting my storage array to Vmware ESXi. The hardware I use is the Cisco UCS-C240-M5 server and the Compellent SC7020 array. The problem is that - i have two free FC ports in the array, I would like to connect the server to them, but without using an FC switch. I mean saving electricity and just for the simplicity. From what I read in the documentation - direct connection without using a switch is possible.  However, it does not work. It looks like that after adding the server to a separate Fault domain, array takes a long time to think and add the connection, but it is in Down mode with message "Server has not used any disk space on the Storage Center" of course the disk resource is granted. In the array logs is information about the fact that the loop test failed or something, at least, the connection fails. I am asking you for help in this matter.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Your assumption that a Dell SC supports or just "work" with Arbitrated Loop is wrong. Get a switch and use the fabric and it will work as designed.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
To make a direct connection between a storage and a host server (HBA), you must verify the following points:
1. That the storage documentation specifies that it supports direct connection (without Switch).
2. That the HBA in the host server is compatible with the storage (matrix or compatibility list of the storage  manufacturer).

In the case of the Dell SC7020 Storage I only managed to find in the specifications published on the internet Connection to a Fiber Channel fabric or iSCSI network. You could also check directly with the manufacturer or your Dell supplier.

You should also verify that the Server, HBA and Storage are supported in the version of VMware vSphere you are going to use.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos