VMware Cloud Community
scooter_
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Essentials plus 5.5, 3 hosts in datacenter/cluster - customer wants a VM with a Modem attached to call out.

Running ESXi Essentials plus 5.5, 3 hosts in datacenter/cluster - customer wants a VM with a Modem attached to call out. The VM will be in a HA cluster. what is the best option here? A modem that you connect to via Ethernet?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I personally have not used them, I have not had this use case for a vast number of years.

but it seems to be a relatively stable solution. Serial over Ethernet - Serial port over Network - Serial to Ethernet Connector

if you need the machine that is hosting the modem to be able to move across the cluster you will have to implement this or a similar solution.  you can however, if the client is happy for the lost of DRS and vMotion capability for the particular machine just host the modem in the local hosts comport and directly map it.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
krishna11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i think this will depend on what interface your modem having and the VM should have supported drivers as well.

0 Kudos