ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  [ESXi] Does the hard drive used affect performance

Posted Dec 14, 2011 12:31 AM

I know that the storage location for the virtual machines affects performance,

I am wondering if the quality hard drive I use to install ESXi (I will host my VM's on different hard drives in RAID configurations) makes a difference in how the virtual machines perform?

• 2.  RE: [ESXi] Does the hard drive used affect performance

Posted Dec 14, 2011 12:40 AM

I am by no means an expert (pretty much a noob), but I have installed ESXi 5 on a RAID 1 4GB Compact Flash (attached to HP P400i with 512MB and battery) and have no impact on performance (that I have noticed).

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

• 3.  RE: [ESXi] Does the hard drive used affect performance

Posted Dec 14, 2011 01:07 AM

The performance of the ESXi installation has no measurable effect of the performance of the virtual machines.

• 4.  RE: [ESXi] Does the hard drive used affect performance

Posted Dec 14, 2011 01:56 AM

thats good news

Because the hard drive I installed esxi 5 on is a single drive with no raid and pretty poor performance. The VM's are stored on a raid 10 though

• 5.  RE: [ESXi] Does the hard drive used affect performance

Posted Dec 14, 2011 02:11 AM

SuprHasan,

Do you know a cheap solution to get raid 1 compact flash?

I'd like to go that route. Buy two compact flash drives and then some sort of controller that works with esxi 5

• 6.  RE: [ESXi] Does the hard drive used affect performance
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 14, 2011 05:03 AM

ESXi runs in memory and rights back config changes every 5 minutes from what I can remember. Just make sure to config your syslog and scratch space.