VMware Cloud Community
virtual9999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi DataStore NAA ID

Hi all,

I wonder if someone can explain this : On our ESXi Host we noticed a Storage device, whose NAA Id is same as the WWN of the Storage Processor ( of DellEMC Unity Storage System) to which the ESXi host is connected. In vCenter, this Storage device appears as "Not Consumed" and 0 Byte in Size.  I would like to know under what conditions the WWN of the Storage Processor is displayed as NAA Id of the Storage device. 

[ DGC Fibre Channel Disk (naa.50060160xxxxxx...) ], where 5006016xxxxx is the WWN of the SP of the  Storage System.

Other Datastores have normal NAA IDs  like "naa.6006016xxxxxx .." .

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
The previous IBM DS Storage family (system Storage), had a "LUN 0" for internal management.
In this type of storage, it could be configured so that this "LUN 0" is not presented to the Host, to avoid confusions. The storage can then only be managed externally.

The concept of "LUN 0" for management is a standrard for several stroage manufacturers.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that's the case for most DellEMC storage systems I worked with so far.

As a side note, it may not be a hard requirement anymore as it was in early ESX/ESXi versions, to present the LUNs to all hosts using the same Host LUN ID, but I still do this as a best practice, and for the sake of consistency.

André

View solution in original post

6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is by design.

Most DellEMC storages present a management "LUN 0" to zoned initiators/hosts. This shows up as a zero Byte device, as long as you do not present a data LUN with a host LUN iD 0 to the initiator/hosts.

André

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
The previous IBM DS Storage family (system Storage), had a "LUN 0" for internal management.
In this type of storage, it could be configured so that this "LUN 0" is not presented to the Host, to avoid confusions. The storage can then only be managed externally.

The concept of "LUN 0" for management is a standrard for several stroage manufacturers.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
virtual9999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. So, am I correct in saying that, if we present a Data LUN with ID "0", the "Management LUN 0" will disappear ?. The reason I am saying this - on another host we have a Data LUN with ID as 0 and there is no "Management LUN 0" ( with WWN of the SP as naa.ID ).

Regards.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that's the case for most DellEMC storage systems I worked with so far.

As a side note, it may not be a hard requirement anymore as it was in early ESX/ESXi versions, to present the LUNs to all hosts using the same Host LUN ID, but I still do this as a best practice, and for the sake of consistency.

André

D_G_Tal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agree with a_P_ i "hat's the case for most DellEMC storage systems" 

0 Kudos
virtual9999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the clarification.

We do keep the same LUN IDs on all hosts in a cluster.

Regards

0 Kudos