VMware Cloud Community
testerlein
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi DHCP disable

Hi,

i installed the latest ESXi (Free Version) on my Host.

Can anybody tell me, how i can disable the DHCP Service on the Host?

by

Tobi

0 Kudos
15 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome to the Communities.

Do you have two option.

Use DHCP, or use Static IP.

To change DCHP to Static IP. go to local console > F2 > Login > Configure Management Network > IP Configuration > Check Set static IP addrress and network configuration.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi does not have a DHCP Server role.  If you are getting a DHCP address, that means your management network is housed on a DHCP segment.

0 Kudos
testerlein
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i think i wrote the answer false.

the guests are getting a ip-address from the dhcp server, this should not be.

So i want to disable that any guest get a ip from dhcp automatic.

by

tobi

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Either configure static IP settings within the VMs or attach them to a vSwitch/network for which you didn't define a scope on the DHCP server.

André

0 Kudos
testerlein
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

and how can i change this so that i does not get a DHCP IP?

by

tobi

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The default for most operating system installs is to use DHCP. There is no way to disable this from the ESXi host. If the guest OS is set to DHCP and DHCP is available on the network the guest will pick up an address.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Check your network switch to see if it can block DHCP requests.

0 Kudos
testerlein
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

i have a guest which have a pxe server installed on it.

whit this i want install a new guest. but the guest get no anwer

i think this is dhcp or don´t you think so?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

PXE relies on DHCP, however that does not necessarily mean these two services have to be installed on the same system. Easiest way is to see which services rare running on the PXE system.

André

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Please provide a more complete description of what you need to do. PXE installs depend on DHCP so ????

0 Kudos
testerlein
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i create a guest with a pxe system on it, there is also a dhcp server included.

from this host i want to install guests on the esxi host system and dedicated roots outside from esxi.

now i want to install a guest with pxe but he doesn´t get a reply from the pxe-system

this is why i want to disable the dhcp-server on the host-system

what is to do

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just to make sure I understand this correctly. You have two DHCP servers on your network!?

In this case I would create a new vSwitch (without any uplinks to a physical switch) and connect the PXE server as well as the clients you want to install to this vSwitch. This way you can make sure the client gets an address from the PXE-DHCP. Once installed reconfigure the clients and attach them to the production vSwitch(es).

André

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi does not provide DHCP so it isn't possible to disable it. As mentioned earlier you might look at creating an isolated network specifically for creating guests. You may be able to disable the PXE server DHCP service and use your network DHCP service.

0 Kudos
testerlein
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

on the pxe dhcp must run.

But i think on esxi ist also dhcp activ, because all installations von guest, eg debian, get an dhcp adress from the esxi host.

that is what i think.

why the guest does not get a pxe answer i don´t know. so i think this must be the dhcp from the host

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As mentioned earlier by DSTAVERT, the ESXi host does not provide DHCP.

So either there's another DHCP server on your network which answers faster than your VM or the DHCP server on the PXE server is not configured correctly. I'd suggest you configure e.g. a Windows VM for DHCP and then run ipconfig /all to see which DHCP server provided the IP settings.

Btw. which error message do you get? Is it "No DHCP or proxy offer received" or "No boot filename received"?

André

0 Kudos