VMware Cloud Community
robertgraham190
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Certifaction Test Failure - VMKernel NIC is NOT ready for NAS mount

I am attempting to run a certification test for our ethernet device on ESXi. I have the complete testbed setup (private and public networks)...and everything seems to be running fine. When I run a particular test (in this case the Multicast test), it fails with:

2014-06-11 15:48:03 UTC [ UTILITY   ] [0] WARN:  Skipping /vmfs/volumes/none due to error 1 ........

2014-06-11 15:48:03 UTC [ TESTHASH  ] [0] ERROR: Failed to execute processSetup for the Setup : Failed to execute handleHostVMObj for the Setup : Failed to execute createVMObj for the Setup : Failed to execute createHOMObj for the Setup : VMKernel NIC is NOT ready for NAS mount

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
robertgraham190
Contributor
Contributor

here is the full log...

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:49 : VIRTUALMAC] [0] FRAMEWORK: Trying to look for existing VMDK file(s) on target host

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:49 : TRANSPORT ] [0] FRAMEWORK: Executing cmd 'readlink -f "/vmfs/volumes/none"' in blocking mode on host '10.39.30.82'...

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:49 : STAFBASE  ] [0] FRAMEWORK: Executing STAF command: staf 10.39.30.82 PROCESS START SHELL SAMECONSOLE RETURNSTDOUT RETURNSTDERR WORKDIR / WAIT  COMMAND readlink -f "/v

mfs/volumes/none"

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:50 : STAFPROCES] [0] FRAMEWORK: Host 10.39.30.82 returned

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:50 : UTILITY   ] [0] WARN:  Skipping /vmfs/volumes/none due to error 1

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:50 : TRANSPORT ] [0] FRAMEWORK: Executing cmd 'find /vmfs/volumes -type f -iname ' /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/centos/centos.vmdk'' in blocking mode on host '10.39.30.82'...

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:50 : STAFBASE  ] [0] FRAMEWORK: Executing STAF command: staf 10.39.30.82 PROCESS START SHELL SAMECONSOLE RETURNSTDOUT RETURNSTDERR WORKDIR / WAIT  COMMAND find /vmfs/volu

mes -type f -iname ' /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/centos/centos.vmdk'

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:51 : STAFPROCES] [0] FRAMEWORK: Host 10.39.30.82 returned

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:51 : HOSTSYSTEM] [0] FRAMEWORK: VMKPing from '10.39.30.82' to yourserver.com.

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:51 : TRANSPORT ] [0] FRAMEWORK: Executing cmd 'vmkping "yourserver.com" -c 1' in blocking mode on host '10.39.30.82'...

[Jun 11 2014 15:47:51 : STAFBASE  ] [0] FRAMEWORK: Executing STAF command: staf 10.39.30.82 PROCESS START SHELL SAMECONSOLE RETURNSTDOUT RETURNSTDERR WORKDIR / WAIT  COMMAND vmkping "yourse

rver.com" -c 1

[Jun 11 2014 15:48:03 : STAFPROCES] [0] FRAMEWORK: Host 10.39.30.82 returned PING yourserver.com (54.225.221.145): 56 data bytes

--- yourserver.com ping statistics ---

1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

[Jun 11 2014 15:48:03 : MULTITECH ] [0] FRAMEWORK: invoked VTAF::TestLib::Sphere::Lib::CLI::HostSystem::VMKPing (Password='Asdf123$' RemoteHost='yourserver.com' Username='root' HostName='10

.39.30.82' ) returned '0'

[Jun 11 2014 15:48:03 : TESTHASH  ] [0] ERROR: Failed to execute processSetup for the Setup : Failed to execute handleHostVMObj for the Setup : Failed to execute createVMObj for the Setup :

Failed to execute createHOMObj for the Setup : VMKernel NIC is NOT ready for NAS mount

0 Kudos
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

Have you followed below kb if not please do that .

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100594...

0 Kudos
robertgraham190
Contributor
Contributor

I have followed this and still no luck. Where is "yourserver.com" coming from in the ping???

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Could you describ how you have your test enviroment setup.

As far as host, vSwitch, VMK's, is the VMK that is being used for NFS on a seperate network/VLAN, ect

It could be a communication issue.

Also if you run a vmkping from the CLI can you ping your NFS share IP

0 Kudos
robertgraham190
Contributor
Contributor

Below is my setup. vmnic0 on both machines (B & C) are the main network ports. The other NICs are my device under test, and are not attached to the management network as failover devices.

I'm unsure what this NFS share you're referring to is. I'm not setting that up, but I'm assuming that's what the test is doing. It's failing on the VMKPing to yourserver.com. Where does it receive this address???

Computer A. Virtual Machine running on my Development Machine with VM Workbench

Computer B: ESXi HOST machine w/ hostname test_machine

host.PNG

Computer C: ESXi AUX machine w/ hostname aux_machine

auxl.PNG

0 Kudos
robertgraham190
Contributor
Contributor

Any thoughts anyone??

0 Kudos
robertgraham190
Contributor
Contributor

What if I don't have a NFS server? Is it required?

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

I believe the reason you are getting that error that your nic is not ready for a NFS mount is because that VMNIC0 is 100mbps.  You require a minimum of 1GB to do a NFS share.   This is at first glance.  You would also want to isolate your NFS traffic onto a differnet vSwitch / Network / VLAN if possible.

0 Kudos
robertgraham190
Contributor
Contributor

No where in the instructions in setting up my testbed did it say I needed an NFS share. Thus, the default NFS config setting I see in Workbench point to yourserver.com. I can easily edit this, but I need to point to some NFS share, which stores my VMLibrary at /vmlib-vtaf.

My questions:

1) What is VMLibrary, and how am I supposed to be setting this up?

2) Where and how should I be setting up the NFS share.

I'm just trying to run certification tests on my device drivers I've created for ESXi (particularly the NIC-tests). I have 2 ESXi machines running a Centos 5 VM (with STAF installed). I also have my main development machine that is running the VM Workbench VM. I use the Workbench VM to run the certification tests. Outside of installed STAF on the ESXi hosts, and also on the VMs...I'm not aware (and haven't seen any instructions) of anything requiring an NFS share.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

You do not require NFS for anything in ESXi, NFS is a Network File Share.  People use NFS shares as shared storage to store there VM's in.  NFS is just another version of a SAN the only difference is the protocol it uses unlike iSCSI.

What are you corrent VM's running on?  Local storage on the ESXi server?

0 Kudos
robertgraham190
Contributor
Contributor

they are running on the ESXi storage. Do you know why the test in VM Workbench is trying to set up access to NFS storage?

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to really work with VMware workbench a whole lot but it could be a plugin inside workbench that is looking for NFS

"Workbench Dashboard aids in the discovery and installation of VMware SDK plugins and keeps you up to date with the latest VMware updates."

It could be some API's or SDK's is looking for NFS encase you want to develop something with it that requires it?  Check to see if Vmware workbench is looking for a NFS plugin or trying to access it someway.

I hope this has pointed you in the right direction at least

0 Kudos