VMware Cloud Community
lucbas
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Build

Hello community

I’m planning of virtualizing my home office. Now I’m struggling to find the matching components/server/computer for my system.

Here is the list of machines, I like to include in my ESXi machine:

-A office computer (special for one of my offices)                                                      3GB RAM             750 GB

-A computer dedicated for the website (won’t host it there, just for the files etc)           2GB RAM             500 GB

-A computer to gather all my mails (there are a lot of them :D)                                   2GB RAM            1000 GB

-A backup computer with about 3-4 TB storage                                                         2GB RAM             3-4 TB

-A computer for surfing the web                                                                               2GB RAM             250 GB

Do you have any suggestions for a server or components?

How many GB of RAM should I use?                                   Is 16 enough for the future?

The same question about HD capactiy?                               5x 3 TB HDDs in a RAID 5 configuration? (12TB)

Which CPU?                                                                     Intel Xeon?

Do I need a graphic card?                

I would be very happy if someony could help me :smileygrin:

Best regards

Lucbas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chaz999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Bro,

Keep in mind if your local storage or LUN more than 2 TB then you will see significant problem just because of limitation. so in a nut shell

max partition will be 1.95 TB that what VMware supported.

I would recomend you to create some extra logical volume, use one logical volume for ESXi4.1 host installation, please check HCL before buy any server

Thanks

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Telling you a response, it's difficult. I've been working with VMware for years and design is one of those themes that always have something new to say.

You don't seem to have a very complicated enviroment, but, giving you an advise with this information is more a "guessing" excersise than a proper design.

With that beeing said Smiley Happy here are some tips:

- Visit this link. For me is a bible and I'm sure it will help you

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp

- Have a look into this evaluation guide

https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsphere/VMware-vSphere-Evaluation-Guide-1.pdf

Yes. If virtualizing everything, have into account that if you use only one server, you will have a single point of failure. If you plan to use 2 physical servers, maybe VSA could be a good solution for you in order to save money. Use vendor machines that give you support and a "real" warranty.

How many GB of RAM should I use?                                   Is 16 enough for the future?

It depends...what do you have planned for the future? As a thumb guide, summ all the RAM you have now, think about things you will need (for instance if you want to use VSA, you will need to count the RAM the VSA appliances will use in every host) and add 20%. Yes, with this configuration you are not achiving the best price as you are not considering overcommit benefit of RAM. But, without having a nice understanding of your "normal" RAM use, this would be the best approach I think...

The same question about HD capactiy?                               5x 3 TB HDDs in a RAID 5 configuration? (12TB)

I'm not a big fan of having SATA disks for virtualized enviroments. More important than size is performance and those drives have the worst performance in the market right now. Consider SAS drives with at least 10K RPM and 450-600 GB each. Just today I have a session in VMworld that explained lots of details about designing a storage...it's impossible to simplify it in few words. But think in terms of "redundancy" (RAID 5 only gives you 1 single point of failure), "performance" (IOs and latency) and in the last place, "capacity"...I say the last place because it usually is the easiest thing to calculate. With VMFS5, Volume maximum is 64TB (file size maximum is 2TB -512 bytes)...but you can always use RDMs with physical compatibility to overcome this.

Which CPU?                                                                     Intel Xeon?

Intel or AMD are ok. 64ibts is necessary and hardware virtualization is a reaaaally good thing. The more cores, the better Smiley Happy

Yes.

Anyway, THE BEST ADVICE I COULD GIVE YOU, is that you get in touch with a vmware certified partner to help you. It will cost you money? Yes. But, how important is the information you are going to virtualize? Be sure that you don't run into trouble having a solid solution, well installed and monitored with a proven and tested backup solution.

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

lucbas wrote:

Hello community

I’m planning of virtualizing my home office. Now I’m struggling to find the matching components/server/computer for my system.

Here is the list of machines, I like to include in my ESXi machine:

-A office computer (special for one of my offices)                                                      3GB RAM             750 GB

-A computer dedicated for the website (won’t host it there, just for the files etc)           2GB RAM             500 GB

-A computer to gather all my mails (there are a lot of them :D)                                   2GB RAM            1000 GB

-A backup computer with about 3-4 TB storage                                                         2GB RAM             3-4 TB

-A computer for surfing the web                                                                               2GB RAM             250 GB

I would be very happy if someony could help me :smileygrin:

Best regards

Lucbas

you should keep your backup comuter seperate from your esxi host.

if you loose the host or VMFS volume you loose your vms and your backups.

RAM: 16GB should be ok.

cpu wise anything modern should be fine.

you can buy a cheap dell / hp that is on the HCL and should be up and running in no time.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos