VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi Boot from SAN

I am using ESXi in a boot from SAN scenario. I am aware that this isnt supported but am interested in getting any information on peoples experiences who have tried or are running this.

What would be really useful if is someone can explain (or point me in the direction of something that can explain) the reasons why ESXi SAN boot isn't supported and the differences regards to SAN boot) between ESX and ESXi?

I'll look forward to seeing your replies.

JB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Bravo,

their is no point to have boot from SAN for ESXi, as it's less then 1 Gb space. if make sence if you are having ESX classic environment.

Can you please let us know that why you are looking for it?

0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The environment DR revolves around stroage replication which is the main driver behind boot from SAN. Unfortunatly, there is no budget for ESX and all the host nodes are diskless blades.

It has been agreed that this is the route to go down (not by me) and so this is the way it is going.

The main reason I posted was to try to understand the differencies between ESX and ESXi in regards to SAN boot and the reasons its not supported and to see what kind of experiences people have had from configuring boot from SAN with ESXi

Thanks

0 Kudos