VMware Cloud Community
Jer2224
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Blades & Strange iSCSI Storage Visibility

Hi all,

I have some BL460c blades in a C7000 enclosure running ESXi 6.5 U2 all managed by a VCSA 6.5.

I have a strange and seemingly random (i.e. not easily repeatable) issue with some of the hosts connecting to storage processors on a VNX storage array.

The blades are all configured the same way (via Host Profile) and all the presentation is the same for all the blades in the cluster on the VNX (all blades should be able to see all 10 iSCSI LUNs as set in permissions on the array. The switches between the C7000 and the storage (HP 10GB blade interconnects x 2 and Aruba 10GB switches) are also all configured the same for all ports (storage vLANs tagged the same on all interconnect ports, trunks all tagged the same way etc. All the blades are patched to the same VUM baseline too.

The strange issue is that of the 8 blades in the cluster, 2 of them can only see LUNs presented on one of the 2 storage controllers. Of the visible LUNs they can see, they can interact, access VMs fine. But, these 2 blades will not see the other storage controller - either by Dynamic or Static presentation. Even if I manually add the missing storage controller they still do not see it or the LUNs.

All very strange. When configured, I have confirmed no connectivity using vmkping in a variety of forms to test outbound connectivity from the various ESXi connections configured on each blade. Most it works for, 2 it doesn't, and currently, they sit in Maintenance Mode taunting me.......!

Anyone else come across this? I raised a call with GSS and they had a quick look (started me on the vmkping route) then dismissed it as a networking issue then closed the case. I have gone through the network config with a fine toothcomb and all looks fine and consistent across all the blades, uplinks, trunks, and switches.

All very strange - would appreciate some thoughts if anyone else has come across this?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Jeremy.

0 Kudos
0 Replies