VMware Cloud Community
andrewmchale201
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Autostart system default option wrong?

I presume the host/system defaults for autostart are found under Host>Manage>Autostart. 

When I edit the settings under this section the 'Stop action' has a choice of 'System Default' (see screenshot).

Searching for info about this setting in VMWare docs all the screenshots do NOT have this as an option under the Host settings. That would make sense, as this is the place you have to explicitly define what the system default is (I think).

If you set the Host setting to 'System default' and you set each VM's setting to 'System default' then what action is it going to take?

Is this a UI bug I've found?

Is there another place to define the "default" settings?

This is a single ESXi host environment with free license running Client version 1.34.0 | Client build 15603211 | ESXi Version 7.0.0 | ESXi Build 5843807.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

yeah that is weird that you can select "system default" when it is the place to set the system default. seems like a UI bug to me indeed.

andrewmchale201
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response depping. How do I go about filing a bug request with VMWare? I have no support contracts to utilise.

Since posting this I've seen the same option in blog posts with screenshots from ESXi 6.5 so its been around a while.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I will do that for you, probably easier. thanks for reporting,