VMware Cloud Community
Bitsky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 8.0a SR-IOV Intel I350T2V2 not working

Hello Everybody,

I would like to ask some information regarding the compatiblity of the SR-IOV with Intel i350T2V2 NIC and ESXi 8.0

It is working fine the SR-IOV on Linux and Windows directly on the host but not with ESXi 8.0.

Nic is working fine with ESXi 8.0 except that function.

I did check the HCL and it is written compatible with this version.

I have updated the NIC firmware to the latest.

What I noticed on the HCL when i select to download the driver that is compatible it is referencing ESXi 7.0 driver instead of 8.0.

The driver that comes with ESXi 8.0 is 1.4.11.6-1vmw.800.1.0.20513097 which then what the HCL says is not compatible.
I did download and install the one from HCL latest version igbn version 1.10.2.0 but all the links are referencing to ESXi 7.0 drivers.

Bitsky_0-1672744230816.png

Thank You,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

From the igbn driver version 1.10.2.0 release notes you mentioned:

"SR-IOV Virtual Function (VF) Creation:

Although the driver is not supporting SR-IOV and Virtual Function
creation for 1G adapters, vCenter GUI may allow that feature for 1G
adapters. The functionality will not work, and that is an issue of
VMware product, which should be addressed in the nearest future".

From the FAQs that Intel has released (not too recent) basically the same is reported:

"VMware vSphere* 7.0, 6.7, and 6.5 don't support SR-IOV on 1Gb products".

I sincerely doubt (very personal opinion, which is worth little or nothing) that despite being a widely used product, but discontinued, someone invested to implement in the driver aimed to the last version of their flagship product a feature unsupported in the previous one.

Regards
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Regarding the Inte i350T2V2, All works fine except the SR-IOV.
Should be enabled SR-IOV support and VT-D on the motherboard and the card is on the HCL list for this ESXi 8.0 version

0 Kudos
Bitsky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello @maksym007 ,

I have it enabled both, as I mentioned it is working with Windows or Linux but for some reason on ESXi after I enable SR-IOV it is always written that Enabled / Reboot needed.

I restarted like 5 times always the same. Also it is always 0 out of max 8, I change and save, but remain 0.

Bitsky_0-1672751368280.pngBitsky_1-1672751383873.png

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

From the igbn driver version 1.10.2.0 release notes you mentioned:

"SR-IOV Virtual Function (VF) Creation:

Although the driver is not supporting SR-IOV and Virtual Function
creation for 1G adapters, vCenter GUI may allow that feature for 1G
adapters. The functionality will not work, and that is an issue of
VMware product, which should be addressed in the nearest future".

From the FAQs that Intel has released (not too recent) basically the same is reported:

"VMware vSphere* 7.0, 6.7, and 6.5 don't support SR-IOV on 1Gb products".

I sincerely doubt (very personal opinion, which is worth little or nothing) that despite being a widely used product, but discontinued, someone invested to implement in the driver aimed to the last version of their flagship product a feature unsupported in the previous one.

Regards
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
Bitsky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey @Kinnison ,

Thanks for the info missed the FAQ about the driver, might have saved you the time.

Sorry to hear that is not working, I was thinking there is something that can be done.

Vmware should specify this in the HCL the limitations in the notes.

I actually went for it and ordered this card as 1GB was enough and at a good price New.

I ordered specifically as it was written compatible.

Let's hope somebody is reading about it and manages to do something but i doubt it.

Maybe a community driver?

Thanks Again!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'll tell you, I personally doubt that the community has found interest in developing drivers, which in itself is not a trivial thing, to implement complex functions to deal with particular use cases, SR-IOV wants to take into consideration what are the implications deriving from the use of this technology.

Check it out here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-E8E8D7B2-FE67-4...

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
yzsz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good day @Bitsky, Just came across this by chances in searching for something else. What brought to my attention is the symptom you met, i.e., the SR-IOV column always indicates “Enabled / Needs reboot” no matter how many times you reboot the server. Although I’m not quite sure if my workaround may work for your case, I think you should give it a try still. You may try to set “VMkernel.Boot.disableACSCheck = true” and then reboot. This argument can be found at “Manage -> System -> Advanced settings” after you login to the WebUI. FYI, this worked for my X710-AT2 with ESXi 6.7U3.
0 Kudos
Bitsky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello @yzsz ,

Thanks for the information, but I actually did try also that and did not make a difference for my case.
Thanks

0 Kudos