VMware Cloud Community
RichardSterling
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 8.0 unable to add hard disk to VM

Hello!
I am unable to add an existing vmdk to a VM, the same vmdk worked fine in ESXi 7.0..  I can create a new VM with a new disk, I just can't add an existing vmdk.  Here is what it looks like in the GUI (I grayed out part of the filename) but notice the controller location, disk mode etc is blank.
RichardSterling_0-1667095026048.png

And if I try to add it via the CLI, I get this error:
Incompatible device backing specified for device '0'.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
  • He

16 Replies
RichardSterling
Contributor
Contributor

Quick update, I found a workaround.  I rolled back to ESXi 7.0, added the disk to the VM (it worked just fine) and am now upgrading to 8.0 again.  (It's a home lab so no big deal).  Here is how the same vmdk looks in ESXi 7.0.  (I hid part of the file name intentionally).  

RichardSterling_0-1667141547497.png

0 Kudos
Memnarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem. Even if a create a new hard disk in 8.0 it won't attach.  Existing Vm's from 7.0 with existing disks work fine, but if you delete the disk from the vm entry you can't re-add it.

RichardSterling
Contributor
Contributor

Rolling back to 7, attaching the disk and then upgrading to 8 worked.  (I know, lame workaround but it's only a lab).  Added benefit is the 60 day eval clock resets so I have more time to get my key 🙂

0 Kudos
Memnarch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another workaround I found -- create a new independent persistent disk, unregister the VM, manually edit the vmx file to replace the vmdk filename with that of the existing disk that you actually want, then re-register the VM.  It's a PITA but doesn't require reinstalling esxi.  

Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

0 Kudos
FoW
Contributor
Contributor

(dupe removed)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
FoW
Contributor
Contributor

I'm testing on vCenter 8.0.0.10100.

I likewise lost control of the virtual hardware. I have control over the hard disk, but not the CD.

화면 캡처 2022-12-17 211607.png

0 Kudos
AAT_Aviation
Contributor
Contributor

This bug is so obvious that I'm starting to belive that this version wasn't tested at all. Besides, it has been three months since it was released. How long will you keep as waiting for the path, Vmware?

I've found the following workaround:

1. Get vmid using the command:  vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

2. Attach an existing disk using the commad: vim-cmd vmsvc/device.diskaddexisting vimid /path_to_datastore/test-vm/disk.vmdk 0 1

example (for vimid=10, SCSI0:1):

vim-cmd vmsvc/device.diskaddexisting 10 /vmfs/volumes/Datastore1/Test-Vm/additional_disk.vmdk 0 1

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1006685

EpicLPer
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me too, my workaround is simply to add axisting disks to a VM via VMware Workstation. The Web UI seems to be broken when you open the settings of the to-be-added disk.

0 Kudos
crookedview
Contributor
Contributor

This issue also cropped up for folks running ESXi 6.7.  The 1.43 update to the esx-ui package broke the UI the same way as the OP.

I assume it's unlikely to be fixed in 6.7 since it's not a supported version :(.  Way to go, VMWare.

0 Kudos
FucaBala
Contributor
Contributor

I tried this one, didnt work for me.

I was trying to add phisical hard drives to the VM which is running TrueNAS.

I know about running TrueNAS in VM. Should have bought a dedicated host at home.

Any idea of when this could be patched? 8.0A was released in December, we should be getting a patch by now.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
AleAmadoC
Contributor
Contributor

Well i edited the vm.vmx file

I Use physical disk for nas also so I added the files on the .vmx

So i first unregistered the vm, then made a copy of the vmx file for backup purposes, added my 4 disks

sata1:1.fileName = "hd01.vmdk"
sched.sata1:1.shares = "normal"
sched.sata1:1.throughputCap = "off"
sata1:1.present = "TRUE"
sata1:2.fileName = "hd02.vmdk"
sched.sata1:2.shares = "normal"
sched.sata1:2.throughputCap = "off"
sata1:2.present = "TRUE"
sata1:3.fileName = "hd03.vmdk"
sched.sata1:3.shares = "normal"
sched.sata1:3.throughputCap = "off"
sata1:3.present = "TRUE"
sata1:4.fileName = "hd04.vmdk"
sched.sata1:4.shares = "normal"
sched.sata1:4.throughputCap = "off"
sata1:4.present = "TRUE"

Saved and Registered the vm again, and worked perfect,

Hope it helps,

0 Kudos
SnowyMountain
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm this issue is also present and reproducible in ESXi 7.0 Update 3.

I have also discovered that an error message briefly flashes on-screen before getting back to the blank disk properties page. I've attached a photo I managed to capture (out of a high-fps/slo-mo video) but the error states;

Unhandled Exception (7)

Unfortunately, we hit an error that we weren't expecing.

The client may continue working, but at this point, we recommend refreshing your browser and submitting a bug report.

Press the Esc key to hide this dialog and continue without refreshing.

The dialog disappears in less than half a second, so there's no opportunity to read it or click the "Details" button. Refreshing the browser doesn't fix, using different browser also doesn't fix. 

I thought this was pertinent enough to share. 

0 Kudos
SnowyMountain
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I also wanted to confirm that AAT_Aviation's workaround worked for me and should work for you too. Once the disk is added, you can change its properties in the ESXi GUI and move to SATA controller instead if you'd rather. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The GUI issues has been fixed with ESXi 8.0b, and I guess (hope) that the next 7.0 patch will contain that fix too.

André

0 Kudos
S-M-G
Contributor
Contributor

@EpicLPer 

@EpicLPer wrote:

This happened to me too, my workaround is simply to add axisting disks to a VM via VMware Workstation. The Web UI seems to be broken when you open the settings of the to-be-added disk.

This is hands down the easiest workaround, while everyone else focusing on over-complicated workarounds, thank you for this. 

The v8 GUI is now forced with the latest v7.0 U3 builds, which is where I had this same issue. I use Workstation a lot and didn't even think to try it.

0 Kudos