VMware Cloud Community
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 8.0: File upload fails without any error

Hi,
I have installed a new ESXi Host with version 8.0 Update 1.
Using the web interface, I try to uploade different ISO files in my datastore. Almost every time, few seconds after the upload started, the progress bar in Datastore browser simply disappears and my file doesn't appears in my datastore (no error message). In Recent Tasks panel, I see my "Upload file to datastore" task with the value "Running... 33%" in the Completed column, but upload seems to be completely stopped (percent value change between two upload of a same file). See pictures enclosed.
Bigger is the file I try to upload, bigger the upload has chance to fail. I'm completely unable to upload files bigger than 4GB, so this issue has a real impact.
Trusted root certificate are installed on my client laptop.

Tags (1)
24 Replies
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It would help to know the hardware of the host itself. What server/specs (CPU and storage in particular)? And network issues could cause this as well. Are you on the same physical network? Or off-site? If off-site, could someone who is on-site do a test by uploading a large file to the datastore and see if issue persists?

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jsm79,

Host is a Dell poweredge 7525 with 2xAMD 7313, 256GB RAM and 5TB in RAID6-SSD.

I am on the same LAN, I don't think there is any network or storage problem, because I can upload anyfile usinc scp (WinSCP). I have no problem with another ESXi 6.5 installed on the same network.

0 Kudos
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you running vanilla-flavored ESXi on that Dell host? Or the Dell custom ISO? Reason I ask, is the Dell custom has additional VIBs included for things like network and storage. Not sure if you can get those VIBs directly from Dell or not...

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI80U1-DELLEMC&productId=13...

There is the link for the Dell custom ISO. Might be able to download the offline package and install VIBs individually from that instead of re-installing the hypervisor...

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Indeed, I'm using vanilla-flavored ESXi.

For the moment, it will not be a big trouble to reinstall my ESXi completely. I will try with the Dell image and see if it changes something.

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just installed ESXi Dell Customized version of VMware ESXi Image, the problem remains the same: I can upload small iso files, but if I try to upload big iso (VCSA for example), it fails without any error during upload.

I've also tried to download Dell_Addon_8.0.1_A00.zip and install it on the server using:

esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/Dell_Addon_8.0.1_A00.zip

Host is not changed, all VIBs are skipped. I guess it's because they are already up to date...

For the moment VCSA is not installed. I will install it and try upload using VCSA interface, but I guess I will have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I understand that the question is all too trivial but you have excluded that the problem is not somehow related to the browser and/or any added extensions.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's a good question, because indeed, I have read that there is a limit of 4GB with firefox. Anyway, I've done all my tests with Firefox and Chrome up to date.

I've tried upload through vCenter, problem is the same.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I'll tell you, I use the native browser supplied as standard with the OS that I could use at that moment, whatever it is, basically MS EDGE, and I have no substantial problems uploading files well over 4 Gigabytes (although I prefer to use other methods) rather than deploying virtual machines in OVA/OVF format. I certainly didn't reinstall my hosts.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Ferdinando, appreciate your help.

This is a new server that was just installed, so it was not a big deal to reinstall using custom Dell image, and even if it doesn't solve my problem, I think it's better to use this image than the vanilla flavored one. So even if my problem is still here, I'm done with reinstall 😉.

Your feedback would be really appreciate, what would be other method I could use to deploy OVF:

- I can't migrate VM from one host to another because they are not in the same vcenter (and can't be).

- Maybe installing ovf tool locally on the host and deploy ovf from there (as said before, even if upload with web interface is really erratic, I'm still able to use SCP to store ovf on the host).

If other idea... Welcome! 😅

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

True, but as soon as I can I go for "Cross vCenter vMotion" or I use shared storage as a bridge between two different infrastructures, in other circumstances I have also used a slightly more "drastric" but equally effective approach. Of course, I always had solid, verified backups.

Regards.
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
crmercado
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

You are there any limitations with the AV of your endpoint that could be affecting this?
If you try to upload with WinSCP, will the files be uploaded to the datastore?

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, files are correctly uploaded with Winscp. I've tested upload from different, endpoint, some with AV, some without, the problem remains.

0 Kudos
crmercado
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have a proxy configured, if so, you can try loading the exclusions or disabling the proxy.

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No proxy, I even tried to plug my laptop directly on the server.

Because I can upload my files using scp, my main problem now is to deploy ovf file. Is it possible to deploy an ovf file which is stored on the local datastore?

0 Kudos
crmercado
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please try the following to deploy from the datastore.

• Launch browser and type ESXi IP Address. https://esxi-IP/folder
  • Enter root credentials when prompted.
  •  Click on ha-datacenter
  • Click on the Datastore and Folder where your OVF files are located
  • Right click on the Filename.OVF and click Copy Link Location
  • Login to the vSphere using the vSphere Client
  • Click on Deploy OVF Template
  • Deploy from a file or URL > Paste the URL link that you copied earlier in the above step
  • Click Next
  • Follow the Wizard and select the options accordingly
  • Click Finish
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi crmercado,

Sorry, this subject has been drifting from uploading file to OVF deploying. I have mentionned you response in the subject dealing ovf files. At the begenning I thought the problem of dceploying OVF was linked to this upload problem, apparently not because I'm now able to deploy OVF files, but still unable to upload big files in my datastore using ESXi or vCenter web interface.

I guess, I will continue to use scp as workaround. Anyway, thank you all for your help and advice.

Mareee
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue here, after updating ESXI from 8.0 to 8.0U1

Larger files fail to upload via Web UI, unable to deploy any OVA/OVF files or upload ISO's as they randomly fail between 1 and 25% of the upload (for a 8GB file on 100Mbps) and show a "Failed to deploy VM: postNFCData failed: Not Found" error.

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mareee,

Sorry for your trouble, but glad to see that i'm not alone 😉

I've noticed that upload is uncertain when using my Dell XPS, but works every time when I use another server ( Dell Poweredge T410). So it's may be a problem on my XPS (drivers or...). Maybe you should try from different PC.

0 Kudos
crmercado
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, me again.

Can you try to install the vCenter certificates on your desktop, and then try to upload a file again?

The following Kb indicates how to perform the steps to install the vCenter root certificate on your endpoint.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2108294