VMware Cloud Community
Paulk99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 7.x Nested Lab setup question \ disk partitions

Hi All

I have a small home lab server where the physical host is running ESXi 7.x

The associated HDDs are 4x 146Gb disks + 1 hot spare arranged in Raid 5.

Based on usage i really need the smallest install footprint. So i am using the install boot option "SystemMediaSize=min" to give a 33 Gb base (as per https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81166)

What id like is the remainder of the disk to stay as unpartitioned so i can set up datastores within the Nested Hosts and my NetApp virtual Storage Controllers.

Is this possible when Raid 5 is used or do i need another disk configuration ..?  

Cheers 

P

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> What id like is the remainder of the disk to stay as unpartitioned so i can set up datastores within the Nested Hosts and my NetApp virtual Storage Controllers.
Can you please explain your lab design? I'm a bit confused about that sentence, especially about the "unpartitined" disk space, and the "nested hosts"?

With a nested environment, I think it makes sense to have as much physical disk space as possible (like with the RAID5), configure the host with the minimum requirements, and use the remaining disk space as a datatore on which you can then provision your nested setup with thin provisioning where it makes sense.

André

0 Kudos
Paulk99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there sorry for confusion !

Its a little difficult as my lab is currently formatted.

So after RAID i have about 430 Gb of disk to play with.

In essence i want to build my "Master \ Physical host" with the minimum footprint

Allocate a 100 Gb datastore to it to allow for x3 additional nested hosts.

Then have whatever is left to assign additional Datastores to the Nested hosts.

Also leaving some of that capacity unassigned as VMFS that is unused so it can be re-purposed for other lab functions.

P

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware does not support multiple VMFS partitions on a single disk/LUN.
That said, I still think it better serves your lab purpose to create a single "physical" datastore, which will allow you to assign storage to all kind of lab VMs.

Adré

0 Kudos