VMware Cloud Community
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

ESXi 7 parition Layout

Hello Forum,

i have a question about esxi 7 partition layout. After doing some research i saw that there is a new partiton layout and also a new requirement for sizing the disk.

We are using boot from SAN with a size of 20 GB LUN. Recomended size for booting from disk is 32 gb. 

Now i am thinking of do i have to resize the disk and when resizing how does esxi recognize the new size? Or is 20 gb fine and i can run it with this size as well.

Thanks for any hints on this.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

At the end of the first link, the recomended size is min 32 gb

"

• 32GB for other boot devices like hard disks, or flash media like SSD or NVMe devices."

So now, my size is 20 gb. I could easily change the luns size. but how adopt that to esxi? How to resize the esxi partition size?

Or is there a script that automaticaly change the paritions if more size is available. 

Thanks

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Ok.

did the following.

1. grow san disk
  2. ssh to esx
  3. get disk path to OSDATA LUN 
    1. df -h show the disk path
  4. get partition of vmfs-l
    1. vmkfstools -P /vmfs/volumes/OSDATA-60cc............ 
    2. normaly partition 7
  5. Because of add space you need to correct partition table
    1. partedUtil fixGpt /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.600a098........
  6. Get usable sectors of the disk
    1. partedUtil getUsableSectors /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.600a09
  7. resize partition
    1. partedUtil resize /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.600a098... <partition_number> <starting sector>  <end sector>
  8. grow file system
    1. vmkfstools --growfs /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.60....:<partition_number>  /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.60....:<partition_number>

Frank

0 Kudos
Stoops87
Contributor
Contributor

The only constant here is the system boot partition. ... When a secondary high-endurance storage device is not available, VMFS-L Locker partition is created on USB or SD devices, but this partition is used only to store ROM-data. RAM-data is stored on a RAM disk.

0 Kudos