VMware Cloud Community
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi 7 datastsore quesstion

When you set up ESXi 7.x in VMWare Fusion, I quickly found why it creates 142GIg vm disk for datastore, but doesn't make sense....  However the issue is  default size of datastore is tiny...

1 Gig used... I am unable to grow Datastore1 to use "full capacity" of disk ,.. Why not ?  I' I tried to delete default datastore and re-create with with "full capacity" but i got host configuration error.

However, if i  accept default values, datastore is created fine,, just too small. How can  make use of all that 140gig space ?

Datatore is on same boot drive as host..

I can use a 2nd disk and it will use the full capacity, just won't use the remaining capacity on boot disk

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The footprint for ESXi 7 changed to ~140 GB on the installation drive for a default installation. For a lab environment I'd suggest you go with 2 virtual disks, one for the Hypervisor, and the second one for use as a datastore. Unless you opt to configure the VM's virtual disks as pre-allocated this won't waste any disk space, and you will be able to resize the datastore on the second disk if needed.
Also note that the datastore on the installation disk can only be resized from the command line.

For details about the changed footprint, and options to reduce it, see e.g. https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2020/05/changing-the-default-size-of-the-esx-osdata-volume-in-esxi-7...

André

0 Kudos