VMware Cloud Community
VMwareFan4
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 7.0b fails to boot after power outage (blackout)

Hi,

I have a home computer running the ESXi 7.0b (Build 16324942) hypervisor, supporting multiple VMs. This system has been working well over the last 6 months.

We recently had a sudden power outage (blackout). Since power was restored, ESXi has failed to complete the boot process, always getting stuck at "Initializing InitVMKernel: VMKAcpi_LateInit ...".

Unfortunately I've not been able to find the cause of this issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

System Info:

• HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC
  • Processor: Intel i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR3
  • SSD: 128 GB LITE-ON LCH-128V2S-11 (containing ESXi Datastore for hosted VMs etc., not ESXi bootloader)
  • BIOS: J01 v02.32
  • BIOS Setup Utility: Aptio Setup Utility v2.10.1208 by American Megatrends
  • Booting in UEFI (non Legacy/BIOS) mode

Here is some associated info:

• ESXi boots from a USB drive connected to the server
  • "Loading ESXi installer..." completes
  • "Initializing InitVMKernel..." starts and progresses (grey and yellow screen)
    • Gets stuck at step "VMKAcpi_LateInit"
    • I also tried with new USB drived loaded with ESXi 7.0bc, and then ESXi 7.0.2 (build 17867351), and both cases found that it gets stuck at this same step
    • I have not been able to find what is happening during this stage (hoping that this knowledge might provide a clue as to the cause)
    • ACPI apparently means Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
    • Is there a way to access log files during the initializing phase? Note: ALT+F12 is not working for me during this phase.
  • I ran the "DPS Self Test" on the SSD, via the BIOS Setup Utility - "All Tests Passed"
  • I have been able to successfully load and run Ubuntu from a live DVD
    • This showed no signs of detected hardware issues
  • I have been able to successfully load Rescatux 0.73 (a (Debian Linux based rescue disk) from a live DVD
    • This recognizes the filesystem on the SSD (/dev/sda1) to be "VMFS_volume_member", however says that it is an "unknown filesystem"
    • Also reports "Syslinux GPTMBR (3.74-4.03) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
    • I tried loading and using vmfs-tools on the Debian based rescue system, however command "sudo debugvmfs /dev/sda1 df -h" results in message saying "VMFS: unsupported version 6, unable to open device"
    • Maybe there is a way to use this Debian based rescue system to attempt to check and repair the VMFS filesystem (e.g. with fsck, or similar)?
    • Maybe my problem is unlikely to be caused by potential corruption of the SSD at /dev/sda?

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator should come along and move this to the correct area for ESXi at some point…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Moved to ESXi Discussions

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Reinstall ESXi - troubleshooting is not worth the effort.
Ulli

0 Kudos
Arthos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please, if you are reinstalling , don't install your 7.0b or 7.0 Update 2 esxi on USB . There are plenty of kbs mentioning issues around this area.

0 Kudos