VMware Cloud Community
BefuddledGnat1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 7.0U3I-21424296 does not allow CTRL-ALT-DEL in the VM Console

Hi,

While prepping a server for datacenter deployment we loaded ESXi 7.0U3I-21424296 and after loading a VM found that it does not allow CTRL-ALT-DEL in the VM Console

This issue was reported for ESXI 6.7 but now we find the issue again in the above newest version of ESXi. 

Has anyone seen this before? 

Loading ESXi 7.0U3g fixed the issue, but now we are on the old GUI interface (side note we are sad). 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
degvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI, did you tried this with vmware remote console 12.0.3? 

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=VMRC1203&productId=1345

Kind regards

Sascha

View solution in original post

markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is this in the Web Console, or the VMware Remote Console or both? If Web Console, is the behaviour the same across Edge/FF/Chrome?

If you're seeing this in the Remote Console, try updating to the latest version as per above post.

The direct link to the latest VMRC is here - http://www.vmware.com/go/download-vmrc

Let us know how you get on.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
degvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI, did you tried this with vmware remote console 12.0.3? 

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=VMRC1203&productId=1345

Kind regards

Sascha

louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There is always the old way: Actions/guest os/send keys 🙂

0 Kudos
markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is this in the Web Console, or the VMware Remote Console or both? If Web Console, is the behaviour the same across Edge/FF/Chrome?

If you're seeing this in the Remote Console, try updating to the latest version as per above post.

The direct link to the latest VMRC is here - http://www.vmware.com/go/download-vmrc

Let us know how you get on.

Contributor
Jump to solution

HPE Custom Image for ESXi 7.0 U3 this problem too

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
BefuddledGnat1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, that's the problem. It does not click.  All major browsers tested. 

discorat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 7.0U3I-21424296 is wrong...i am install oldest

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
BefuddledGnat1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMRC is a fix, but it should work without issue through web console.  This issue hopefully will be resolved in a future release. 

BillMoller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is rather frustrating... How do you let this out of QA?  None of the "Send Keys" work via the menu options in the Web UI... 

Tried Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera...

VMRC likely would work, but no, I'm not going to install software to "press control-alt-delete..."

Also, Control-Windows Key-Alt-Delete doesn't seem to work either.  🙃

BillMoller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This appears to still be broken in "n"...

Is this ever going to be fixed?

vrlogic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi 

Confirm same problem

ESXi-7.0U3n-21930508 

Guest OS -> Send Keys -> (All keys not working)

0 Kudos
BillMoller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has anyone with a support contract submitted a ticket?

I am a paid subscriber to VMWare "Software" but it does not appear to include "Support," otherwise I would myself.  Please and thank you.

0 Kudos
Ben_OL7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If Ctrl-Alt-Del not responding

Select Top Right -

*Actions >Guest OS >Send keys > Ctrl-Alt-Del

0 Kudos
BillMoller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This DOES work, however, if you don't have VMTools installed (like you just installed the OS) or the service isn't running for any reason, this option does not appear.

0 Kudos
Hyman-Y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Althrough VMRC or Workstation could be a solution web console issue is still there. Hopefully future release can solve it.

0 Kudos
IK-2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't believe this was let out of testing phase. Not working on 7u3n as well, the ctrl-alt-del and send keys ctrl-alt-del neither ctrl-alt-insert. Nothing is working. We should not have to install VMware remote console just to be able to login to a VM. This is a loss of time during production in corporate environments.

0 Kudos
IK-2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When VMTools got installed, the option for ctrl-alt-del showed after clicking on "Action" button which allowed me to log in to Win. Other than that, other options still don't work.

0 Kudos
vrlogic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's solved in next 7.0u3o. Soon will be available. vCenter already avalable. 

• PR 3219441: You cannot send keys to a guest OS by using the browser console in the ESXi Host Client

In the ESXi Host Client, when you open the browser console of a virtual machine and select Guest OS > Send keys, when you select a key input, for example Ctrl-Alt-Delete, the selection is not sent to the guest OS.

This issue is resolved in this release.

0 Kudos
sethsource
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would just like show everyone a workaround  that requires no extra software:

Open chrome dev tools (ctrl shift i) and navigate to sources tab, expand scripts on the left and open 'main.js'

Navigate to line 52885 and paste this code on that line:

var codes = ['ctrl', 'alt', 'del'];
MKSService.sendKeys(scope.moid, codes);

press ctrl+s to save the document, it will freeze for 30 seconds, then while the VM monitor is open, click on the fullscreen icon and ctrl alt del will fire. 

sethsource
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would just like show everyone a workaround  that requires no extra software:

Open chrome dev tools (ctrl shift i) and navigate to sources tab, expand scripts on the left and open 'main.js'

Navigate to line 52885 and paste this code on that line:

var codes = ['ctrl', 'alt', 'del'];
MKSService.sendKeys(scope.moid, codes);

press ctrl+s to save the document, it will freeze for 30 seconds, then while the VM monitor is open, click on the fullscreen icon and ctrl alt del will fire. 

after doing this, install vmware  tools then use the other ctrl and del option under actions

0 Kudos