VMware Cloud Community
OmarHermannsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 7.0U3 is out but has a known issue that sounds scary

Anybody know anything more about this issue? Under what circumstances does it come up? We were really excited to update due to issues with U2 but this stopped us in our tracks:

• VMFS block allocation issue might cause application data loss

Due to a rare VMFS block allocation issue, you might see a discrepancy between the scheduled and actually allocated blocks for a VMFS file. As a result, you might see some application data loss.

Workaround: None

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OmarHermannsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I gather that it was only ever seen in a lab, never seen in any real scenario out in the field, and it wasn't necessarily exclusive to 7.0 U3. So as far as this issue goes, it shouldn't be a show stopper for upgrading.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmjoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey, it's only "some", not all data that is lost 😆

Yeah better wait until this show up in the "Issues resolved" section. But I guess it's indeed "rare", otherwise it would be pulled. On the other hand, VMware is releasing a lot of crap recently, so you never know...

-rfr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This issue has apparently been silently removed from the 7.0u3 Release Notes... Is it safe to upgrade?

0 Kudos
OmarHermannsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I gather that it was only ever seen in a lab, never seen in any real scenario out in the field, and it wasn't necessarily exclusive to 7.0 U3. So as far as this issue goes, it shouldn't be a show stopper for upgrading.

0 Kudos
-rfr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

0 Kudos